Daimler Launches Emissions Probe in the U.S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkII

Car
Mercedes C-Class
Saw in the FT online that Daimler has launched a probe into emissions in the U.S, at the request of the Department of Justice.

This comes after some 'eager beaver' lawyers have entered class action law suits against Daimler - all in the name of justice and the pursuit of corporate clarity I'm sure ;)

Interesting to note that only 3% of Daimler's cars in the U.S are diesel - I imagine that's more like 75 - 80% in the U.K/Europe!?

Most of us probably suspected that what started with VW would resonate through the rest of the car mfrs but whilst lots of people are pointing angry fingers at the manufacturers, you have to ask why, at a time when there's so much awareness of emissions/health issues, governments didn't ensure the testing regime was more stringent and better reflected emissions in the real world!

The latest diesels are so much cleaner than anything from 10 years ago but what worries me is whether (and I'm not being political here) there will be some typically ill-conceived response by U.K/EU governments towards diesel, who without reference to political persuasion all try to apply simplistic solutions to complex problems :doh:

Full FT article here: https://next.ft.com/content/10283de0-081e-11e6-a623-b84d06a39ec2

Credit: Peter Campbell for the Financial Times

Last edited:
While its easy to blame legislators and governments we have to be aware of the lobbying power of said motor manufacturers and their ability to influence the progress of an effective environmental legislation. Part of that influence is tied up with the immense economic affect car manufacturing has on individual countries economies. They effectively twist governments arms by saying " its jobs and your GDP or the environment" ? The result is fudged legislation where government has to be seen to be acting but at the same time keeping these immensely powerful political lobbies happy.
EU parliament backs emissions testing rules - FT.com

While its easy to blame legislators and governments we have to be aware of the lobbying power of said motor manufacturers and their ability to influence the progress of an effective environmental legislation. Part of that influence is tied up with the immense economic affect car manufacturing has on individual countries economies. They effectively twist governments arms by saying " its jobs and your GDP or the environment" ? The result is fudged legislation where government has to be seen to be acting but at the same time keeping these immensely powerful political lobbies happy.
EU parliament backs emissions testing rules - FT.com

You're right regarding the fact that manufacturers attempt to use their clout to lean on governments but by inference governments (of any persuasion) that accede to the mfrs lobbyists, at the expense of public health, should be blamed and held to account, just as much as the car mfrs.

Unfortunately IMHO there are too many people with vested interests for a well reasoned response to this fiasco and in all likelihood it's the general public who will continue to suffer.

Fair enough - it is time car manufacturers are call to account to justify the variations between test results and the discrepancies with on the road performance.

Fair enough - it is time car manufacturers are call to account to justify the variations between test results and the discrepancies with on the road performance.

This is because the testing system does not represent on the road performance. I don't think the manufacturers devised the tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom