Daimler to Unload Remaining Chrysler Stake.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hawk20, Sep 25, 2008.

1. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
  2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Interesting news indeed, but you wonder where Cerberus will get the money from in today's fiscal climate? Probably not the USA for sure.:eek: I'm looking towards the Far East while I am saying this by the way. ;)

3. OP
    OP
    hawk20

Car:
    Indeed. And I am surprised there is anyone prepared to talk about buying because of the long-term pension and healthcare costs.

Chrysler have more retired people, and people made redundant in the past, claiming pensions and healthcare than the number of people they currently employ. A real ouch! I should think that is one good reason why MB want to sever all ownership links.

4. Mudster

Mudster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    The thing is, the economic climate we find ourself in now might be the savior of deals like this.

As this situations worsens, the deals and arrangements being allowed to slip through the ethical and moral net nevermind monopolies (HBOS - LLoydsTSB) is an eyeopener.

Chrysler is not in good shape, if allowed to wallow on in it's own way it will eventually fold..therefore the pensioners etc will get nothing.

This puts any potential buyer in a good position to barter with the dependents of the company....they'll buy them out at a reduction of benefits, the alternative is you get nothing when it goes bust......

5. OP
    OP
    hawk20

Car:
    I agree. Makes sense. But so far the US car unions have been very reluctant to do any deals however bad the situation financially. Ford and GM have both tried and made little progress. But as you say, a new owner can say we do a deal or it folds.

6. Defiant

Defiant Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 C320 Coupe\71 220 gas, 4-speed\95 Talon TSi AWD\97 J30\79 GS1000S\80 SR500\'69 Datsun 2000
    Before you can sell something, don't you need to have someone who'll buy it?

7. OP
    OP
    hawk20

Car:
    Yes indeed. That could be a problem.:)