Dalai Lama aka Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Should I change my very lovely Green Black metallic C240 Sport 97R (with newly refurbished original AMGs and new Pirelli P Zero Rossos all round for much improved ride, noise etc) for a SL500 1999T?

Costs and much higher insurance premiums aside, the answer would seem to be obvious but I am loathed to part with my C240, especially since depreciation is so steep (it will have lost about £7k in 2.25 years), and at the same time because I still really like the car, more so after all the mods I have made to it, including the recent pollen filter change (that thing cost £22!!).

Am also slightly concerned about taking on the bigger depreciation, insurance and repair bills that an SL500 entails. However, the one I have my eye on has all the important toys (Panaromic roof, heated seats, Xenons, rear seats, MB 6CD, 18" wheels), drives like its new (only has 24k miles), has a lovely light grey (nearly silver) interior, and also the new style 3 valve twin spark V8. It's only slight, and I emphasise, slight, disadvantage is that it's silver ;) :D ;)

There really is no comparison between the V8 and the V6, ignoring petrol consumption.

Oh, what to do? :confused: :confused:

Does it not have the Chrome Dash Rings as standard ?

If you plan to keep it for a good while, are not going to do monster miles, and have no need for the practicality of the 202 over the 129, then depreciation should not be much of an issue with a car like that. It will be a classic in 10 years or so. If I was to ever be in the fortunate enough position to be able get a 129, then I doubt it would be a car that I would get rid of ! I'd want the SL600 though :D

S.

My 2 pence, the SL is a great car but then so is yours! change now and you really are setting fire to a large pot of cash in your losses.
Hang on to your car for another 2 years use and then look around, that would be my advice.
Hmm but then again mmmmmmmV8

Yes it does, and very nice too. It also means you're out of a job :D :D :D

sym said:
Does it not have the Chrome Dash Rings as standard ?

S.

It all comes down to what's important to you. For me - there'd be no question - the SL would get it, but then I would look to hang onto it for a goodly while and not look at it in terms of depreciation, running costs etc - it's not the car to do that with. If you're going to be thinking each time your insurance renewal comes through how much more it's costing, how low the fuel consumtion is, how mich the next service is going to cost - then is it worth the headache.

When looking at performance type cars - imho - it's about enjoyment - not cost.

So long as you are going to keep the SL...go for it, especially at that kind of mileage its as close to a new one as you could get. Plus bear in mind that it cost over £80k new, the bulk of its depreciation has happened.

Also, the SL still looks very expensive and as the new one becomes more common the 129 begins to look even more special.

Ok... may be I am a tad biased.. :D

If you go for the SL, lets swap alloys ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom