Dam Potholes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E280wilson

Car
Bmw 435d
My cars not even 2 months old and I've had to repace a rear tyre today. Ruddy Pothole. So fed up of the council botching a roundabout near me. The hole in question was repaired less than 12 months ago. Got another near bye that has only lasted a month.

Same story down in Buckinghamshire, council just bodge and go.

Shocking isn't it? And we pay for the privilege.

I watched a council truck roll up outside the local co-op once. Two guys shoveled hot asphalt into the hole, then drove the lorry backwards and forwards over it to compact it into the hole. They then drove off to the next job.:mad:

Needless to say it lasted about 3 days....

I agree that Bucks (and Oxfordshire) roads are in an appalling state :mad:

I make a point of reporting potholes via the council websites as a matter of course and would commend everyone to do the same. One tip I was given by a very pleasant lady in the Bucks transport dept was to be specific about the size of the hole when reporting it as that gets it classified correctly and will result in a "fix" within 24hrs for the worst holes. Interestingly, if you're not specific about the hole size they automatically categorise it as a minor fault which means it will get inspected sometime in the next six weeks :rolleyes:

Shocking isn't it? And we pay for the privilege.

I watched a council truck roll up outside the local co-op once. Two guys shoveled hot asphalt into the hole, then drove the lorry backwards and forwards over it to compact it into the hole. They then drove off to the next job.:mad:

Needless to say it lasted about 3 days....

Yup. This is the now standard method of repair in Kent. If busy they don't even bother with the reversing trick. Preferring simply to empty a bag of tarmac chips into said hole, then tramp on it. I kid you not.

Usually the first car over the "repair removes the whole lot dispersing the contents of the hole onto the windscreens of any passing cars.

I am not sure how true it is but.... If the pothole has been marked with spray paint the council are aware of it and are responsible for any damage thereafter?
A mate had a collapsed Gsx r wheel and tyre replaced by Medway council as a result of this. (Took ages to go through but a result none the less)

Tony

I am not sure how true it is but.... If the pothole has been marked with spray paint the council are aware of it and are responsible for any damage thereafter?
A mate had a collapsed Gsx r wheel and tyre replaced by Medway council as a result of this. (Took ages to go through but a result none the less)

Tony

This is true. However as you state claiming back can be nightmare process. I also got an AMG rim replaced by Medway. It took over a year and patience that I am not normally blessed with. You can get a letter template from potholes.com or something like that. I published that on here a few years back.

The default position of most councils is they try and wear you down (excuse the pun) in the hope that you will go away. If you persist they will eventually pay up. Be warned in my case. After admitting liability and stating they would settle they then demanded receipts from over a year previous to their offer to settle. So hang to those receipts.

It is because of potholes and the general bad state of repair of our roads that I bought my SE, rather than AMG, E-Class.

My local indi, who I have a very good relationship with, said that every car he sees has some form of premature suspension damage. Basically, there is no hiding from it unless your car never leaves your driveway. However, the authorities conveniently ignore this longer term damage and will only compensate for immediately obvious damage and then, with restrictions. Restrictions being...

"We are aware of the pothole so that means you cannot claim even if you are forced to drive over it every day for six weeks."

Tony

So - carry a tin of spray paint and a digital camera :D

I am not 100% sure but my understanding is that you can make a claim if the Council have not previously been informed of a pothole. If they have, they have a period of time in which to make the repair. During that period, there is a moratorium against claims.

I am not 100% sure but my understanding is that you can make a claim if the Council have not previously been informed of a pothole. If they have, they have a period of time in which to make the repair. During that period, there is a moratorium against claims.
If they know about it then the claim is indisputable.

The paint is irrelevant, if the pothole is over a certain size and causes tyre or wheel damage you can make a claim.
You will need a location and a photo to help the claim, the minimum acceptable pothole size was actually increased a couple of years ago, so they leave them un repaired for longer to save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom