Damage by the dealersip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt32AMG

Car
June 2002 SLK32///AMG. OCT 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Convertible.
Picked up my car (SLK32AMG), from having the driver’s side door lock replaced - I drove home and put car in the garage and leathered off only to discover that during the process of having the door lock replaced, somehow the boot lid paintwork had been damaged and touched in by the dealership. AND THEY SAID NOTHING!!! :mad: :mad: It looks like a gouge from a screw driver looking at the mark it’s left. And its been touched in using a touch up stick and hand painted clear coat over the top, badley. I'm absolutely livid :mad::mad::mad:

It was not something I picked up on until I got the car home as the car was parked outside when I returned to the dealership to pick it up and it had been raining.

I’m absolutely gutted as I really don’t know what to do about it as I’m sure they will deny all knowledge. The real hack off aside from the dealership trying to hide the damage that's happened is that to repair properly means I have to have the entire boot panel repainted, and as sure as god made little green apples they'll never match eight year old paintwork. :mad::mad:

Thoughts anyone????

Last edited:
Go back and play merry hell.

It happened to me once and they repaired it properly. Apparently one of the car washers scratched it and tried to cover it up.

Don't leave it too long though. Best get down there first thing tomorrow.

Don't forget, they're in the wrong, not you.

Don't be afraid to name them and shame them on here. They may even watch this site.

Matt, you know your car inside out, and someone has taken advantage of you by thinking you would,nt notice. As soon as you can, in the AM, get on the phone and demand to speak to the manager, with regard to some damage done whilst being repaired at their garage. Don,t tell them what the damage is and make your way to the dealership as soon as you can. I would put money on the fact that not only will the manager greet you with an "i'm sorry sir, we will rectify this at your convenience", but he will know exactly what damage has been done and by whom. This is an infringement of your trust and you need reparation. Explain to them that you know every inch of your car and you should demand satisfaction post haste. Lee:mad:

I would politely give them a proper bollocking if they resist, and insist that they repair it at their expense. I would threaten with legal action (even though i dont know the law so well!) as that is just pure negligence on their behalf.

If they dont sort it, yes please, name and shame.

When a car goes into a dealership the first thing they should do is inspect it for damage and fill out a damage report. This will have diagrams of a car body on which they can mark down areas of defect or damage.

I would advise asking to see the inspection report as soon as you get there. If they haven't got one then they haven't a leg to stand on.

When a car goes into a dealership the first thing they should do is inspect it for damage and fill out a damage report. This will have diagrams of a car body on which they can mark down areas of defect or damage.

I would advise asking to see the inspection report as soon as you get there. If they haven't got one then they haven't a leg to stand on.

Thanks and good point, though being I've used the same dealership from day one of the cars history, e.g.from new, and they know how particular I am about my cars, they know the car is 100% mint, (or should I now say was mint :mad:)

I could spit six inch nails :mad::mad::mad:

I would suggest being very calm with your complaint and simply ask for the Service Manager.

Explain the complaint and tell them that you want it resolved at a time suitable to you with a courtesy car provided and pick up / drop off at your place of work.

If the SM resists, then you threaten with MB UK, your insurers, lawyer.

If they had fixed it perfectly would you still be annoyed?

I think they have the option to repair any damage they have done, and I don't know if they have to ask you first? Do they?????

Just to be fair and see their likely reply......

I think you can expect a proper repair, if not a new boot lid, and maybe an apology for not informing you and for not doing a proper job.

Balance is the key & I agree with the above, a cordial meeting with the Manager may very well produce the best result.

A good painter will get it pretty well matched with the rest of the car, & with the clear coat it will not fade much at all - it is a good clear coat. Just make sure all Panel & Paint work is done through an MB approved repair facility.

I am particularly interested in the Law around the notification part......

Keep us posted.........

W. :)

Sorry to hear this has happened. A very difficult situation to be in, did you sign anything to say the vehicle was not damaged when you picked it up?

Tim

This could be a fruitful approach to adopt but cynics might say its all too easy to fill in a backdated inspection report "post incident " to cover up paint damage while on their premises. However if they are honest they may well hold up their hands when the incident is brought to their attention. Its possible the damage was covered up by a frightened employee not wishing to get into trouble and that senior/supervisory staff were unaware of the incident. That's why its perhaps best not to go in with all guns blazing but prepared to make a big fuss depending on the reaction you get. Be 110% certain in your mind that this "cover up" was not done prior to the car's visit to their premises and that you have only just noticed it???

This happened to me a few years back. After a routine service, a large, I mean large, chip of paint missing on the edge of the drivers side front fender. Looked like a wrench had been dropped on it.
After minor resistance, the dealer stripped the whole fender and resprayed (metalic silver) and the colour match was perfect. (got a loan car)
IMO, a calm, but very firm approach will get what you want. Ranting and raving, especially legal threats or exposure on forums will achieve nothing but high blood pressure for you. Our dealers in Aus do not perform pre service inspection, so that is not an option for you.
Good luck, but as other have said, get to the dealer quickly

Ingin

If they had fixed it perfectly would you still be annoyed?

I think they have the option to repair any damage they have done, and I don't know if they have to ask you first? Do they?????

Just to be fair and see their likely reply......

I think you can expect a proper repair, if not a new boot lid, and maybe an apology for not informing you and for not doing a proper job.

Balance is the key & I agree with the above, a cordial meeting with the Manager may very well produce the best result.

A good painter will get it pretty well matched with the rest of the car, & with the clear coat it will not fade much at all - it is a good clear coat. Just make sure all Panel & Paint work is done through an MB approved repair facility.

I am particularly interested in the Law around the notification part......

Keep us posted.........

W. :)

I'll keep all informed as to the reaction I get. Regarding the damage, absolutely they should inform the customer. A quick cover up and to not say anything is nothing short of criminal and a total breach of customer service provider contract of trust.

Regards
Matt

Sorry to hear this has happened. A very difficult situation to be in, did you sign anything to say the vehicle was not damaged when you picked it up?

Tim

Aside from this damage that has occurred, my car was absolutely mint aside from the odd minor stone chip at the front, therefore totally original paintwork. Some say the car looks in better condition than the day I bought it. It has also only ever been serviced by the dealership in question from new, so they know how I keep my cars and how they are presented to them if anything needs doing e.g. absolutely 100% immaculate.

This could be a fruitful approach to adopt but cynics might say its all too easy to fill in a backdated inspection report "post incident " to cover up paint damage while on their premises. However if they are honest they may well hold up their hands when the incident is brought to their attention. Its possible the damage was covered up by a frightened employee not wishing to get into trouble and that senior/supervisory staff were unaware of the incident. That's why its perhaps best not to go in with all guns blazing but prepared to make a big fuss depending on the reaction you get. Be 110% certain in your mind that this "cover up" was not done prior to the car's visit to their premises and that you have only just noticed it???

It'll cost them dear if they do not fix it, as I spend thousands in servicing and not to mention the purchase price of the two cars I currently own. We shall see.

Good Luck Matt,

If your car is in mint condition and it has only just left them, they will know about it. I agree with the above. Don't go in "guns a blazin" first off. Most people appreciate the calm but firm approach. If that gets you no where you have the option to raise the tone (preferably when another customer is in the queue) and that usually works.

Be firm and you will get what you deserve..

Keep us posted..

I agree. Calm, assertive - works everytime. Somehow it un-nerves people and puts you in a strong position. Ranting just ups the anger! Good luck!

I too think the most likely scenario is a junior technician has damaged it and , rather than own up to his bosses , attempted a 'covert repair' in the hope he wouldn't be found out .

I'm sure that if you go in with a calm but firm approach you will get a favourable outcome : bootlid 'properly' resprayed .

I think you should print out the quote in your signature Matt, and hand it to the garage.

Sadly, these things happen in large dealerships. When I worked at a big Ford dealer years ago, there were several times when salesmen or technicians would accidentally damage customer cars and very rarely did they admit it! I remember an ST200 getting a prang on the driver's door by a salesman who literally attempted to bang it out himself and then parked the car in such a way that the customer didn't notice it when he collected it and actually didn't spot it for a few days! Terrible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom