Damage free tyre change?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by mark44, Jun 29, 2017.

1. mark44

mark44 Active Member

Car:
    C63 Estate Edition 507
    What is the safest way to avoid alloy damage when having your tyres changed?

Obviously going somewhere you have been before and not had a problem is one possibility, but is there a superior type of tyre extractor a fitter should be using or technique I should ask if they do?

About to do a 4-tyre change and was a bit wary about the options with some of the online suppliers who use independent or mobile fitters.

Thanks

2. GP801

GP801 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    I have used Event Tyres mobile service many times. No damage so far and I am very fussy. Failing that our local wheel refurb shop is happy to swap tyres fro a small fee

3. Cymruambyth

Cymruambyth Active Member

Car:
    Easy....avoid Kwik Fit.

4. PobodY

PobodY MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    In my experience; hang around like a bad smell. - I've seen them put the rattle gun away and get their torque wrench out when they noticed me watching them.

5. Trickythemerc

Trickythemerc MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
    My tyre man uses a set of rim protectors that clamp round the outer rim edge. Then he just uses a standard tyre changing machine, never had any damage when having tyres changed.

6. clk320x

clk320x Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI, W212 E250 CDI, W203 C32 AMG
    Don't go to F1 autocentres

Unless you want grease on your headlining and your auto car to be pushed around in Drive and

7. Adrian5405

Adrian5405 Active Member

Car:
    2010 C180 Komp Sport (1.6) W204.
    Not only alloys,I get very concerned about where the trolley jack goes, I've had sills and floor pan damaged in the past

8. Allan AMG

Allan AMG Active Member

Car:
    W204 C63 Coupe
    Tyres on the drive have been good as well as the local Costco.
    I was informed long ago a decent tyre machine should never mark the alloys, they have nylon guides. It's generally the **** operators with the levers if needed or really old and worn machines.
    KwikFit and ATS have in the past marked previously alloys owned by myself and friends. I learnt from that mistake, many many years ago :)