Damage to a 3rd person's car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well have discovered (and thanks to you guys) there is no excess to pay if we use the insurance..

So the question is do we make a claim for the £750 or bite the bullet and pay..bearing in mind how many years she will be loaded and loss of any NCD going forward..

Any thoughts ?

What sort of loading would she get ? Her premium for a 17 year old was £960 - assuming one years more experience and 1 years ncd versus a claim....hmmm

When you have a claim, don't they work around removing two years no claims bonus (or increasing the premium by the equivalent of that amount). So if it goes up by 40% the first year, it will still be an extra 20% the following year? How much does one years no claims bonus amount to in percentage terms? Don't they start you out with some no claims, if only so they can take it back if there is a claim?

If it were me, and a proper estimate arrived from the repairer, with the agreement that you pay them directly, I probably would do so. Seems like a bad omen having an at fault accident on the insurance record. Would probably affect the quotes from other insuance companies when shopping around at renewal time.

I have calculated that it will be cheaper in the long run to settle direct. I have therefore intended to settle this with the garage direct on the understanding that the driver signs a declaration that the payment for the repairs is a full and final settlement...

I agree that to ask for second or third estimates is unfair -- I know if someone hit my merc I wouldn't accept anyone else repairing it so why should I expect him to be any different.

Once I have a copy of the estimate I will be in contact with the garage and sort out payment etc..

Many thanks for all your valuable advice ....very much appreciated...

I hope that she now has learned a lesson (need to reschedule repayments...:D that's a joke ) and looks where she parks.

Cheers guys..:rock: :rock:

I hope that she now has learned a lesson (need to reschedule repayments...:D that's a joke ) and looks where she parks.
To make sure she really has learnt her lesson get her to pay an amount monthly that will cause her some inconvenience. Save it up and when she finishes paying give it all back to her. The intervening months of payment will teach her.

Yes, the hard lessons are the best ones learnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom