Damage to car going over speed bump.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

claspknife

Car
Mercedes Benz c class 220 amg 2017
Hi all.

Am hoping some of you knowledgeable people can help me.

I have damaged my new c class going over a speed bump.

The car has not been lowered and I was travelling at approx 7 miles an hour.

I wonder if I have a claim against the council for this. Similar to pothole damage?

Luckily It’s all been caught on my blackvue dashcam. The noise from the scrape everything can be heard. Furthermore the location and my car speed can clearly be seen on the dashcam software.

The extent of the damage is not clear. I think it’s mainly scrapes, but I plan to take it to the dealer to check.

Any replies appreciated.

EDIT: Now that I look at the video properly I can see that there are potholes on either side of the ramp that lowered my car when I drove over the ramp, hence ramp hitting underside of my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I think you would be very lucky to have them accept liability.

EDIT: Now that I look at the video properly I can see that there are potholes on either side of the ramp that lowered my car when I drove over the ramp, hence ramp hitting underside of my car.
Go back to the location with a camera, a straight edge, a tape measure and an assistant. Measure the height of the hump, the depth of the potholes and their position. Take lots of photos of the measurements. Maximum permissible height of hump is (I believe) 100mm. If the effective height of the hump due to the potholes is greater then it sounds like you will have a strong claim.

Reactions: GLK
Pictures?

3f042936fae49de5c7502dc96ca7384f.jpg

First picture is taken from the video right before I hit the bump. Zoom in and note the potholes on each side of the bump. These potholes basically lowered my car over the ramp scraping the undercarriage.

f2b58964cee45a1a1c82e0b0411a3eda.jpg

Next picture is close up of one side of the ramp.

Thoughts?

3f042936fae49de5c7502dc96ca7384f.jpg

First picture is taken from the video right before I hit the bump. Zoom in and note the potholes on each side of the bump. These potholes basically lowered my car over the ramp scraping the undercarriage.

f2b58964cee45a1a1c82e0b0411a3eda.jpg

Next picture is close up of one side of the ramp.

Thoughts?

You have your answer. Sue them.

They will claim you were driving down the centre of the road and tracking over the speed bump.

If you had driven down the left hand side of the road - even accounting for the parked cars - your right wheel would have gone up over the speed hump and there would be no damage.

They’ll cite driver error and record the report of the pothole.

They will claim you were driving down the centre of the road and tracking over the speed bump.

If you had driven down the left hand side of the road - even accounting for the parked cars - your right wheel would have gone up over the speed hump and there would be no damage.

Unfortunately, this is what I was thinking too.

Buckled a wheel and knackered a tyre on one of those ironically called speed ‘cushions’ before.

They are wheel eaters once the edges have broken away.

Good luck with the council.

I think that I will first take to my dealer. If there is no damage or it’s only minimal than I will leave it.

I do think driving closer to the left would have put my car too close to the parked cars in the left. I like to keep space for opening doors etc. However yes, they may try and argue that so no guarantee for success.

However I do have video evidence which is very good and clear. I think people have won cases with a lot less evidence.

I found this guide in claiming for potholes.

Pothole Claims: How to claim for pothole damage - Money Saving Expert

Speed humps are such a negative way of imposing speed limits. Every time you go over them, even at the correct speed, they damage the car in the sense that the suspension joints wear out quicker than they would otherwise do. I'm sure they must contribute to the increase in broken springs.

Speed humps are such a negative way of imposing speed limits. Every time you go over them, even at the correct speed, they damage the car in the sense that the suspension joints wear out quicker than they would otherwise do. I'm sure they must contribute to the increase in broken springs.

Agree.

I trully detest speed bumps, i hate everything about them and the inventors mum should have swallowed him/her! I have damaged my cars a fair few times in the past with them, now i tend to go a different way to avoid them sure sometimes it adds extra distance and time to a journey but its worth it. Here is an interesting fact i have come to notice, you come up to a piece of road with speed bumps and its a 20mph limit, you turn off said road into an even more urban area the speed limit lifts to 30 mph and there is no speed bumps, yay

I trully detest speed bumps, i hate everything about them and the inventors mum should have swallowed him/her! I have damaged my cars a fair few times in the past with them, now i tend to go a different way to avoid them sure sometimes it adds extra distance and time to a journey but its worth it. Here is an interesting fact i have come to notice, you come up to a piece of road with speed bumps and its a 20mph limit, you turn off said road into an even more urban area the speed limit lifts to 30 mph and there is no speed bumps, yay

The sad truth is that most people can’t be trusted to obey speed limits in built up areas, even when the difference of 10-15mph can mean life or death.

The sad truth is that most people can’t be trusted to obey speed limits in built up areas, even when the difference of 10-15mph can mean life or death.

That's true enough but there has to be a smarter way that doesn't punish the innocent along with the guilty.

That's true enough but there has to be a smarter way that doesn't punish the innocent along with the guilty.

Maybe average speed traps should be used in 30 zones rather than motorways?

Heard a scrape driving the other half's CLS over some similar speed bumps locally to me. Annoyingly the speed bumps are positioned next to islands so you have not choice but to straddle the bump. I wasn't going quickly either as I don't hammer it over speed bumps for this reason!

The bumps don't look that large in this shot but as you can see, hard to get an angle where one side can go up and over the bump!

CaKA43D.jpg

Very frustrating for you though OP!

Aren’t they sponsored by these fast fit tyre & exhaust places ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom