Damage to edge of tyre - replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajmarten

Car
Mercedes AMG C43
Hi all,

I managed to clip a curb yesterday evening which has left me with a slightly curbed alloy and a small tear in the edge of the tyre (MPs4s)- see below.

My questions are:
1. Is this just cosmetic or does it warrant a replacement tyre?
2. If I am going to replace the front left should I be replacing the front right as well? Both currently have 5-6mm of tread.

thanks all

Attachments

• 31D99F81-FAE7-4FA9-BE73-29A8F79BC4E4.jpeg
    31D99F81-FAE7-4FA9-BE73-29A8F79BC4E4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • D5345807-F815-49BA-9CEB-B5985D927A3B.jpeg
    D5345807-F815-49BA-9CEB-B5985D927A3B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
Are the tyre carcass cords visible in the cut? If so, definitely replace it; if not, possibly not. It's hard to tell from the picture how deep it goes. Personally, I'd seek advice from an MoT tester or two.

I'd not replace the other front tyre.

I’d replace it and if the other has circa 6mm I’d leave that so just replace the damaged one.

Had the same problem recently & I didn't risk using the tyre, £100 down the drain all because of a pot hole hidden by leaves, & I replaced both tyres as they were both at 3mm

I had the same previously, even tyre fitter couldnt say one way or other, replaced tyre for safety.

Probably cosmetic.

Probably only an advisory on MOT.

Personally? I'd replace the tyre. I have replaced tyres with more superficial cuts...

As my MOT advisor says to me.
It'll get worse !!
I'm afraid I'd replace it.
Ideally, I'd replace the other one as well ..... Especially as it's on the front.
Keep the other one as a spare - You may find a use for it - Maybe on the rear some time if you get a damage or a flat.
With the state of some of the roads, that's quite likely .

Tyres with rim protectors are prone to this and we’ve had it on a couple of our cars. We’ve lived with them without issue - I keep an eye on them.

I had a previous car with a sidewall tear at an approximate angle of 20 degrees It passed it's MO T without comment from the tester.

I would have definitely replaced that tyre.

However on a much smaller and shallower tear what I have done in the past is glue it with rubber solution. The logic being that if that part of the tyre is under sufficient stress that the tear was critical then it's pretty certain the glue won't hold and I'll then replace the tyre. If it was just cosmetic and the glue does hold then I'll call it good, leave it alone and monitor it.

If the cords were not visible, I'd have superglued it. Many tyres have a large rim protector in that area, it does not affect the construction of the tyre as long as the cords are not visible/damaged.

I had an identical problem. Down to the garage and told just cosmetic, which surprised me.

Are the tyre carcass cords visible in the cut? If so, definitely replace it; if not, possibly not. It's hard to tell from the picture how deep it goes. Personally, I'd seek advice from an MoT tester or two.

I'd not replace the other front tyre.

Drive with uneven tread depth (braking) on front wheels where most of the braking happens?

Drive with uneven tread depth (braking) on front wheels where most of the braking happens?

If the fronts have 5-6mm tread, yes; not all that uneven, really - a new tyre only has 7-8mm. If it was down to, say, 3mm, no.

I would have replaced the damaged tyre but just that side as 6mm is nearly new.

As I learnt with my last front tyres, the grip they start with varies widely even though they were obviously new (between the two tyres fitted - 6mm and 6.4mm IIRC!) so you could well find the new tyre is not far off 6mm anyway.

My other half has had a tyre looking like this and I replaced before. I sold the other one only for it to happen again! So I replaced just the one this time as they were only 1mm apart.

Although it may well be "safe" with that tear, it would be on my mind constantly so not worth it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom