Damage to parked vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldbloke

Car
E Class Estate 320CDI Elegance 2007 Non- ADS
sick of returning to car and finding damage to car by incompetent parkers.
Anyone suggest a camera setup to catch the ****ers?

Sadly. too few people own up.

Conversely, if they do not realise.....should they allowed to pilot a 1ton plus vehicle.

I hand wash my car each week or two and must look a sight to my neighbours or passers-by, when mumbling and cursing to myself, every time a find a freshly inflicted piece of damage.

Where did it happen?

Wife’s vehicle so were a little unsure which parking area it happened. Anywhere from Dundee to Moray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly. too few people own up.

Conversely, if they do not realise.....should they allowed to pilot a 1ton plus vehicle.

I hand wash my car each week or two and must look a sight to my neighbours or passers-by, when mumbling and cursing to myself, every time a find a freshly inflicted piece of damage.

The Wife and I have received two such scrapes in car parks in two years. Usually £400 a pop. Most unimpressed. No one seems to admit to this nowadays. Too many big suvs and people unaware of where their cars extremities are.

I have a work colleague who bought a dash cam a good couple of years ago.

He has captured around 5 incidents of damage to his car - most of which he has been able to claim off insurance / get money from the perps.

It's usually where he parks outside where he is currently living.

I bought and fitted BlackVue cameras in my other half's and dad's cars and had one fitted in mine.

I haven't enabled parking mode on or wired any of them accordingly as it's not really needed for any of us although there are times when damage is a possibility but rare seemingly.

I would recommend these cameras but it's a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, you want it to catch damage but on the other, the camera itself may get stolen.

So you are probably better off with a £60/£80 camera and fitting it in the least obvious part of the windscreen so you can leave it in (obviously doesn't guarantee it won't get stolen but I would presume less likely without a flashy high end unit).

I park a fair distance away from people to try to mitigate this. I just won’t park if I don’t feel like there car is safe there, unless I really have no choice.

I’ve also been thinking of dashcams (front and rear), but if you’re hit on the side, it’s usually no use.

I’m actually thinking of buying an old banged up mini and using that to run around town as most people just don’t give a ****!

I park a fair distance away from people to try to mitigate this. I just won’t park if I don’t feel like there car is safe there, unless I really have no choice.

I’ve also been thinking of dashcams (front and rear), but if you’re hit on the side, it’s usually no use.

I’m actually thinking of buying an old banged up mini and using that to run around town as most people just don’t give a ****!

We do too. Always careful to never park by bangers or cars with kiddie seats. Park at the furthest end of Tesco and walk the extra. Still been hit twice in two years.
Perhaps time to dash cam.

Good shout on the kiddie seats. Another little 'trick' is to pick very 'nice' or new cars. Not always true, but generally, they don't want dings or scrapes either!

Let us know which one you're gonna get.

Amazon has some really cheap stuff now - I just ordered a GPS tracker for £45!

I agree, I go to Tesco's, though there all the same including retail parks, I park as far away as possible, or find myself a little niche.
General rule of thumb is,
don't park near heaps, :rolleyes:
cars with kids seats, :rolleyes:
massive SUV's, :rolleyes:
work's vans, :rolleyes:
and if it's very windy or sipping down, don't park next to anyone. :rolleyes:
Might sound a bit OTT, but it needs to be done. :)

Good shout on the kiddie seats. Another little 'trick' is to pick very 'nice' or new cars. Not always true, but generally, they don't want dings or scrapes either!

Let us know which one you're gonna get.

Amazon has some really cheap stuff now - I just ordered a GPS tracker for £45!

Will do!

OK when it works, but the occasional Sunday when I have the 968 out, go to Tesco's and park as far away from the main door as possible and empty bay either side of me, you can guarantee that when I get back from buying the papers some idiot has parked next to me despite there being numerous other places where he/she could have followed my example and had an empty bay either side of them. for the next 45 mins I'm sitting in the car reading the paper (waiting for herself to come out of church), idiot parks next to me then realises I'm sat in the car - and thus takes extra care with their doors!

My answer to door dings at supermarket car parks is home delivery!

Been doing that for 13 years now - only have to grace supermarket car parks when on holiday.

So the risk is reduced accordingly.

Suggested HD to SWMBO - shot down in flames, she likes to pick her veggies herself, as well as taking forever looking at everything on every shelf (while I get thoroughly bored and annoyed waiting for her!!).

Twas a Parking program the other day and different parties took an hour to find a space in Birmingham for Christmas shopping .

Hello , internet shopping and store deliveries .

she likes to pick her veggies herself, as well as taking forever looking at everything on every shelf (while I get thoroughly bored and annoyed waiting for her!!).

The first one concerned us a little but the people doing the home delivery shopping pick similar stuff to what we would pick anyways - they are effectively doing the same shopping we'd all do albeit in a very non-shiny home-delivery supermarket.

You can refuse stuff you aren't happy with.

I suppose it depends how particular someone is though.

Looking at everything on the shelf is a tricky one to solve albeit you can see all the products on the website.

Small supermarket shopping trolley / dump-run car is an alternative!

sick of returning to car and finding damage to car by incompetent parkers.
Anyone suggest a camera setup to catch the ****ers?

It doesn't matter what you do:rolleyes:

I parked in a Bannockburn Heritage Centre today, and in a slot with no cars within 40 metres, returned to find I could not, open the driver side door as some tube had parked as close as possible, luckily for me no drinks but WTF?

had parked beside me

It doesn't matter what you do:rolleyes:

I parked in a Bannockburn Heritage Centre today, and in a slot with no cars within 40 metres, returned to find I could not, open the driver side door as some tube had parked as close as possible, luckily for me no drinks but WTF?

had parked beside me

You do wonder if a nice car attracts

One of the sole reasons we bought a little run around for the local trips/shopping etc.....! Can't be dealing with the damage/paranoia of what i'm going to come back to.

Feels nice to go out, and not having to worry about the car :)

Plus, enjoy driving the little manual run around - feels like a go kart :D

On another plus side, when i do eventually drive the larger car (won't name as don't want to offend :p) it feels nice again. I find that if you drive the car on a daily basis - it just becomes 'normal'.

DashCams with "g-force" detection can be quite nice in cases like this. Like most people I usually just park as far away from everyone else as possible. But even then, you'll often get that one guy who parks right next to you anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom