1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damage to wood trim lacquer

Discussion in 'Interior' started by markjay, May 3, 2017.

1. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    See attached photo... it looks like condensation or haze but it is in fact scratches to the top coat. Someone must have tried cleaning it using the wrong materials.

What's the best way of sorting it, short of buying a second-hand ash tray cover from eBay (which would be my next move if I fail to sort it)?

WD40 makes it visually go away for a while (by filling in the scratches), but over time the WD40 coat is removed and the scratches come back.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Davycc

Davycc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2001 W203 C320 Elegance
    Looks like maybe the previous owner may have placed keys etc there (why I wouldn't know) but doesn't appear to be a cleaning pattern i.e back and forth, looks more random and deeper in depth in places.

If your going to buy various fixes then as you say ebay may be best option but possibly a coat of good clear spray lacquer may work like a permanent WD40 fix. Worth a go if your'e thinking of replacing anyway

1 person likes this.
  3. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    As above, sand and spray.

1 person likes this.
  4. KeithJG

KeithJG Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C320CDI Sport Estate V6 7g
    I would try Metal Polish first but NOT T cut.

Have patience but it will do it....

5. alzieboy

alzieboy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350CDI sport Coupe / VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi
    Would poorboys blackhole glaze help, I used to use it on the centre dash on my BMW which had black shine finish and had been scratched by the previous owner

6. OP
    OP
    markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Oddly the finish feels absolutely smooth to the touch... if you close your eyes while moving your fingers on top of the ash tray cover you could not tell there was an issue. Attached is a close-up photo. It look scratched but it does not feel so.

Attached Files:

7. Davycc

Davycc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2001 W203 C320 Elegance
    Must be marks ON the surface then. I'd go with metal polish "lightly" first then lacquer after if dulled. Can do any harm if you are prepared to but anyway. Strange one though.