Damaged 1995 C36 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just down the road from me. Should be a reasonable repair, however you do wonder why the local body shop which is literally one mile down the road has not done it themselves....

Parts needed from what I can see:

Bonnet
Grill
OS Headlamp
OS Foglamp

Also crack in front bumper needs repairing.

The front has been pushed back further than it first appears. They have straightened the bonnet to make it look better.

Thing is with second hand cars now they are so cheap and losing money fast.

A large engined once such as this has a limited market, high insurance, running costs etc.

They probably just want shut. Make a few quid and keep moving them.

Picture may look ok, but what can you not see?. With good cars cheap enough I know where my money would be.

No way would I pay nearly 2 grand for a written off (un-repaired!) cat-C C36.

I can't see it being worth much more than that when it's fixed?

Wouldn't it make more sense to break it for parts?

Will

No way would I pay nearly 2 grand for a written off (un-repaired!) cat-C C36.

I can't see it being worth much more than that when it's fixed?

Wouldn't it make more sense to break it for parts?

Will

I remember us both deciding that c36 with the reiger front bumper was priced too high at around £2k.

Ive seen undamaged C36's going for prices around this area. Ok, the mileage on them may be a bit higher but they are not classed as insurance write-offs :)

This car is simply not worth the money that they are asking for it.

That's an easy repair, - cheap car.
Perhaps one man's cheap car is another man's huge financial blunder.

It might be a worthwhile project for someone with time, the equpment and resources, but for us mere mortals there are some excellent bargains out there which do not have a DVLA tag on them. ;)

I admire your skills and expertise and am certainly not doubting you could do exactly as you have stated.

Regards
John

The climate is right to make a bid direct. Previous comments are correct but it is still a 'proper AMG and on the surface looks in pretty good nick. Anybody looking for one of these may well be pleasantly surprised at how cheap they could get this for. Salvage yards are always looking to sell and replenish stock, so small profit and quick turnover is the order of the day.
If interested,I would be looking at £1200-1300

The climate is right to make a bid direct. Previous comments are correct but it is still a 'proper AMG and on the surface looks in pretty good nick. Anybody looking for one of these may well be pleasantly surprised at how cheap they could get this for. Salvage yards are always looking to sell and replenish stock, so small profit and quick turnover is the order of the day.
If interested,I would be looking at £1200-1300

Exactly, and other than the damage it looks to be a tidy old car.

Perhaps one man's cheap car is another man's huge financial blunder.

I suppose, but it's not a huge amount of money, in fact it should break for parts for the cost of it, and I'd rather have a genuine, but lightly damaged car, than an abused but straight one.

too expensive, it will be recorded as well, so unknown damage to take into consideration, condensor will prob be damaged as well, log book will need to be applied for etc etc.... unless it was £500, id give it a wide bearth.

How much are decent working C36s anyway? cant be much more than that?!!

too expensive, it will be recorded as well, so unknown damage to take into consideration, condensor will prob be damaged as well, log book will need to be applied for etc etc.... unless it was £500, id give it a wide bearth.

Log book and VIC check cost £38 and as it's a cat c you get the price of the V5 back. As for the condensor, I would be very surprised if it was damaged because it sits so far back. (airbag not deployed) the greater likelihood of damage apart from what can be seen would be to the centre slam panel which would have been twisted due to the bonnet pin passing through it.
I agree that C36's are not worth what they used to be,but the fact remains that somebody who wants relatively cheap entry to a genuine AMG would be getting what on the surface appears to be 'a tidy example with decent mileage'. After all, the parts required that we have mentioned are all W202 parts and not AMG exclusive and are readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom