Damaged alloy - repair or replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Has anyone experience in repairing alloys? I wonder what the options are for the below wheel.

I've paid for refurbished alloys before @ £50/wheel but wonder if that cost would cover the below.
I've also seen a second-hand alloy on Ebay for £120, so that's another option.

P1090129.JPG

P1090128.JPG

P1090127.JPG

As above a very simple refurb. I would have thought no more then £50. Lepsoms did a stonking job on one of my AMG alloys that had a crack £50 and you could not see the repair.

Does it matter as it's on the inside of the wheel?

I'm more concerned about the strength and safety of the wheel than the cosmetic appearance. I plan on using the car for some track days, so don't want a catastrophic failure when going quite quickly.

I'm more concerned about the strength and safety of the wheel than the cosmetic appearance. I plan on using the car for some track days, so don't want a catastrophic failure when going quite quickly.
Fair point, but i wouldn't be concerned about the integrity of that wheel

As a general rule i don't touch wheels but i do know a bit about welding ally as i make this sort of thing for a living...

P5180045.jpg

Wheels are made using various different techniques and often heat treated. Some cast wheels are also flow formed (akin to spinning) which like forging 'adds strength' through strain hardening and grain refinement. Welding is, in effect, casting and will 'undo' the grain structure in forged/spun parts. Wheels are often heat treated too, again welding will undo this as the HAZ (heat affected zone) will be annealed (softened) when welding ally. In the case of a wheel forged from 6082 and heat treated to the T6 condition welding it can pretty much halve the strength, however as far as i'm aware all AMG wheels are cast and are 'kin heavy i.e. they're relying on the shear amount of material for their strength and welding will have less of an effect providing the welder isn't a hack

Having said all that i wouldn't be too worried about having that wheel repaired assuming it's just a couple of gouges- a welder with half clue could fill those without putting much into the wheel i.e. the HAZ will be tiny. If it was my wheel i'd crack test it first, given what many of the wheel repairers charge i doubt they do though!

Look like a repair job, should be straightforward enough as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom