Damaged key fob!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steveamg

Car
BMW M3
W221
S Class

Had a nightmare yesterday evening.... key fob wouldnt work due to low battery so i removed the key part by moving the little button to the side however when pulling out the actual module the metal part of the clip broke off and damaged the plastic! The top part will not stay back on now so i cannot clip the key back in!

Module works however i cannot attach the key to a key ring now! grrrrr

If i buy a used key off ebay, how can i reprogram to my vehicle?

Thanks!

Reprogramming is likely to need the services of a STAR machine. Just swap the innards of the existing key into a new casing.

Its the actual inner bit that is damaged.

when i pull the top metal cover off (after taking out the key) it broke, damaging the plastic. I then had to use a little screw driver to get the module out of the case.

The shell is fine.

Do you mean the middle part of this image? That's still part of the casing, you just need to transfer your remote board and transponder chip.

s-l1600.jpg

Do you mean the middle part of this image? That's still part of the casing, you just need to transfer your remote board and transponder chip.

s-l1600.jpg

ah ive just looked at it again!

Yes the middle part is damaged, i thought that this is what controls the fob! The chip is actually in the part on thr right which is not damaged. I will try to find the middle part on ebay. Thanks for your help.

Guys is the casing above available for purchase anywhere online?? If so, is it easy to transfer over inner bits into new casing? Both of my keys are currently chipped and scuffed!
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom