Damaged Roof Trim Panel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart97

Car
SLK250 AMG SPORT CDI
Hello all,

Whilst failing to fix a leak in the roof, a garage has cracked the panel trim - please see the photo below.
I'm obviously devastated as it is such a blemish on a fantastic looking car.

They have advised the piece is not sold separately so the only fix would be to buy the whole roof unit (including glass roof panel) which would cost around £2,500 plus labour - they are not willing to do this.

Could anyone give some advise as to whether it would be possible to source the panel separately?

IMG_20220312_105822.jpg
IMG_20220312_105822.jpg

Is this an MB garage or independent, not that it should make a difference, they damaged it, they should fix it. The cost is their lesson for the future. You shouldn't have to try and source a cheap alternative.

they are not willing to do this.
Sorry, you're saying that a garage damaged your car while trying to effect a repair and are then refusing to rectify the damage they caused?

Unless they specifically warned you that the work they were about to undertake could cause damage and you accepted that you would bear the risk, they are 100% liable. So remind them of their responsibility.

Is this an MB garage or independent, not that it should make a difference, they damaged it, they should fix it. The cost is their lesson for the future. You shouldn't have to try and source a cheap alternative.
Its an independent, thank you for the advice, I wasn't sure where I stood from a liability point of view.

Sorry, you're saying that a garage damaged your car while trying to effect a repair and are then refusing to rectify the damage they caused?

Unless they specifically warned you that the work they were about to undertake could cause damage and you accepted that you would bear the risk, they are 100% liable. So remind them of their responsibility.

Yes, when I took it in and explained the issue, without any work being discussed or approved, he tried to pry the panel off and it snapped, he then just glued it back on.

Thanks for the advice, I am more confident to take this up now.

Yes, when I took it in and explained the issue, without any work being discussed or approved, he tried to pry the panel off and it snapped, he then just glued it back on.

Thanks for the advice, I am more confident to take this up now.
What a cowboy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom