Damaged S203 mirror - Replacement or repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingy68

Car
C220 Sport 125
My dads S203 / C220 Estate offside (drivers) mirror has been given a belt which has broken the lens for the indicator in the mirror. Is this repairable (is there a replacement lens) or is it a new unit?
The mirror glass is intact, but the fluid has started to move so a new one would kill two birds with one stone, but if its easy to repair the lens then that would be the preferred option.

Pic of the mirror:

IMG_20130710_170156_zps7b92cd4c.jpg

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Easy to replace the lens and I believe that they aren't expensive from Mercedes.

Or E-Bay might have some nice LED ones.

Thanks Ted. Will try Mercedes first to see how much they are for OE. My dad has owned the S203 from new and kept it original so I know he would prefer that.

If anyone can advise a good place for a replacement (second hand) unit (full mirror) I'd appreciate that as I know he would prefer that long term. I'll ask Mercedes but assume it will be rather expensive through them.

Indicator strip is approx £30. The dimming mirror glass is approx £300.

Breakers and ebay for 2nd hand

Thanks for the help.

OE prices are:

Indicator lens strip@ £24.44 inc VAT.
Replacement (Mercury for anti glare) glass@ £374.40 inc VAT :eek:
Cheaper (not anti glare) glass@ £62.40 inc VAT.

Will see if I can find anything for full unit on ebay / breakers as he needs a couple of bits touching up so matching colour would be no problem.
Worst case scenario the £24.44 lens looks a winner. :D

The lens is ok to replace. Look for the "how to's" on how to get the housing off. Its a ltach you undo with the mirror folded back. Housing comes off easy, couple of torx screws for the indicator, and hey presto.
Dimming glass, or any glass comes off with a driver type tool down the back of the glass to release the clip. There are extra wires to hook up thats all if it's a "dimmer".
Hold out for dimming glasses on ebay. They do come up, and I paid less than £50 for mine.
Pattern glasses rarely seem to fit the merc clips securely. I've given up with pattern mirrirs now and just use oem, for any car., There is a lot of rubbish on the market for this sort of thing now...

Someone on the forum is currently breaking a W203 C320, why not send him a PM?

Just look on ebay for a cheap glass about £12 but won't dim, a lot cheaper than original

Trouble is a non dimming glass will also not be heated on your car. I had this problem, the wiring plug is different. Hang out for one on eBay, I got one for about £30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom