Damaged Tyre - MOT Wednesday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
Hi all,

Booked in for MOT at local KwikFit on Wednesday. First time taking a car there but couldn't resist the £25 price. Car has just been serviced, and is a used approved from Mercedes - 12 plate C Class C180 Coupe. Would have passed without any trouble however the other day an old boy was coming straight at me down a side road and instinct was to get out the way so I mounted/hit the curb so I could dodge him.

Some damage to passenger side front tyre...look like a small chunk missing but something hanging off as well. Can anyone tell me whether they think this is an MOT failure? If so, I'll look to sort out a new tyre before Wednesday so I'm not messing about at KwikFit with a failure and 24 hours for a free retest.
tinypic.com

Last edited:
Hi all,

Booked in for MOT at local KwikFit on Wednesday. First time taking a car there but couldn't resist the £25 price. Car has just been serviced, and is a used approved from Mercedes - 12 plate C Class Coupe. Would have passed without any trouble however the other day an old boy was coming straight at me down a side road and instinct was to get out the way so I mounted/hit the curb so I could dodge him.

Some damage to passenger side front tyre...look like a small chunk missing but something hanging off as well. Can anyone tell me whether they think this is an MOT failure? If so, I'll look to sort out a new tyre before Wednesday so I'm not messing about at KwikFit with a failure and 24 hours for a free retest.
dwXUh7

script>

dsD5O
You don't really want to be driving a powerful Mercedes with a damaged tyre it will be permanently on your mind when driving at speed. If you book in at Kwik fit for the tyre change and MOT it is less likely they will try to find an excuse to fail the MOT so could work on your favour..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

From the photo it looks as though the rim is cracked as well.. I'd be looking for a second hand rim and a partworn for speed.. or even a steel wheel and tyre that way your safe on MOT...

Difficult to say. It is possible that you only damaged the tyre's rim protector, and slightly kerbed the wheel.

Still, I would change the tyre, and also get the wheel checked at a same time, just for peace of mind.

As for MOT... I guess it depends how deep is the cut at the base of the 'flap'. If it does not go beyong the surface, then the missing bit of rim protector should not be an MOT failure in itself. My view...

Thanks guys. I think up close it's actually a bit superficial i.e it's not that deep it's just more than flap has come off but would obviously attract attention on an MOT.

To be fair, ideally it would just pass the MOT and then I can sort the tyre out in the next few weeks because I'm busy the next couple of days but I'll have to look a bit closer to see exactly what's going on with it.

just had similar on mine
It is NOT a fail, but it is an advisory as superficial (pothole?)

I bought a new tyre anyway

Your wheel looks a little worse for wear - is it holding pressure?

Watch Kwik Fit prices.......

It’s just part of the rim protector. Not a fail, you could get a scalpel/Stanley knife and shave it off.

Be wary of anything they say, frankly I’d rather pay more and go to a reputable mot station, I don’t trust KF and won’t use them anymore.

Hi all,

Booked in for MOT at local KwikFit on Wednesday. First time taking a car there but couldn't resist the £25 price. Car has just been serviced, and is a used approved from Mercedes - 12 plate C Class C180 Coupe. Would have passed without any trouble however the other day an old boy was coming straight at me down a side road and instinct was to get out the way so I mounted/hit the curb so I could dodge him.

tinypic.com
Defective tyres are not on the list of things you can take the vehicle away with and return for a free retest within 24 hours .

You can either leave the vehicle at the test centre for repairs and have the free partial retest done within 10 working days .

If you choose to take the vehicle away for repairs , provided your original certificate is still valid , you can still return within 10 working days for a partial retest , for which the test centre can charge . I have never been charged for a partial retest .

Getting an MOT: Retest after a repair - GOV.UK

Thanks guys. I think up close it's actually a bit superficial i.e it's not that deep it's just more than flap has come off but would obviously attract attention on an MOT.

To be fair, ideally it would just pass the MOT and then I can sort the tyre out in the next few weeks because I'm busy the next couple of days but I'll have to look a bit closer to see exactly what's going on with it.
Depending on the amount of wear , I’d consider replacing both tyres on the same axle to preserve even handling in the wet and braking ability .

Why risk running around on that tyre?

You’ve just saved £30 on the cost of your MoT - put that towards replacing the key safety item that keeps your car on the road.

It looks like it hasn't cut into the carcus in the picture, just the rim protector. Shouldn't be an MOT fail as it doesn't affect the integral structure or safety of the tyre.

If it needs changing anyway due to tread then fair enough, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it personally.

Other consideration is of course the wheel and whether that is causing any safety issues, but again, doesn't look like it from the picture, but hard to tell.

Reactions: 219
If there is no time to sort out the replacement tyre before the MOT then fit the spare wheel and present it for the test and then get the tyre replaced.

Why? If its not in a failure state what is the point?

If it is and you have a full size spare then you can do this, just make sure you leave this wheel out of the car as if it is present it should be checked as well.

Why? If its not in a failure state what is the point?

If it is and you have a full size spare then you can do this, just make sure you leave this wheel out of the car as if it is present it should be checked as well.

It saves the OP worrying about it

Why leave the "damaged spare" out of the car? The"spare" wheel / tyre is not part of the MOT check.

You are right, it has been removed from the test by the looks of it. Backwards step really, but I guess it is due to access.

You are right, it has been removed from the test by the looks of it. Backwards step really, but I guess it is due to access.

I am not sure it ever was part of it, I think it was more urban myth that it was, Only parts "fitted" to the vehicle may be tested used to be the phrase in the MOT guidance notes.

Section 2.12 is the relevant part:Car parts checked at an MOT - GOV.UK

This may also be of interest: MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - GOV.UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom