Damn clever these Germans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D-18

SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Portfolio
Folks, I've noticed several comments on the forum regarding the depth of thought and engineering expertise which goes into a Benz and I think I may have just experienced my first little MB 'Eureka' moment.

I was out yesterday in the E220 and in an effort to avoid the congestion at some roadworks, I ended up on one of those little roads linking a series of villages / small towns with only a mile or so of open road between them. I often use cruise control function to help stay within the urban speed limits, so had the CC set to 30 mph for the towns. The sections of road between the towns were national speed limit, so I just accelerated up to 60mph without resetting or cancelling the CC.

What was quite noticeable when lifting off the power on the approach to the next town was the amount of engine braking available. It felt like the CC was doing its best to get the speed back down quickly to the programmed setting of 30mph - to the extent that it seemed as though the brakes were being applied gently. I didn't have the speed limiter function engaged, just the CC.

I know W211's have a lot of electronic gadgetry built in to them, so out of curiosity, I checked the manual when I got home. If I'm interpreting the manual correctly, the CC will indeed apply the brakes if required to maintain the desired speed. I've owned many cars with CC, but none of them were clever enough to apply the brakes if needed - love it!

BTW: does anyone know if the brake lights illuminate when the CC applies any braking?

I think there has been a lenghty thread on this somewhere...

It makes sense on a W211 as SBC is electronically controlled so could easily be tied in with cruise.

Jaymanek,

Sorry - I should have been more specific. My E220 is a later model ('09 reg) so doesn't have the SBC, that's why I found this feature particularly impressive.

However, I was given a demo of the SBC 'automatic braking' by one of the forum members at a GTG and thought it was excellent.

I use speedtronic to control my speed rather than CC - I find it easier.

is speedtronic where no matter how hard you press the pedal it stays at the programmed speed? i

If you kickdown speedtronic disengages

i see. this was what i activated by mistake on a cls500. i couldnt go past 20mph. i must have looked like a curb crawler!!

:devil:
I use speedtronic to control my speed rather than CC - I find it easier.

Couldn't agree more. To use CC in an urban area is IMHO silly and dangerous. But each to their own

is speedtronic where no matter how hard you press the pedal it stays at the programmed speed? i

Almost. It will accelerate up to the programmed speed but not go over it unless u kick it down and hear a bleep. Far more sensible to use in urban areas as you have FULL control over the car.

I don't really use Speedtronic, only Limtronic, in areas with average speed cameras (e.g. motorway road works).

On another note... regarding German technical wizardry... following a BAS-related fault code (which was successfully cleared) I decide to test if BAS is actually working... empty road, no one behind me, slow speed, I briefly 'blipped' the brake pedal as you would with the accelerator, but not all the way down or very hard - emphasis on speed, not force - i.e. just very quick. The car stopped like it was chained to an anchor - presumably BAS identified the speedy brake pedal movement and did what it supposed to do :thumb:

:devil:

Couldn't agree more. To use CC in an urban area is IMHO silly and dangerous. But each to their own

Almost. It will accelerate up to the programmed speed but not go over it unless u kick it down and hear a bleep. Far more sensible to use in urban areas as you have FULL control over the car.

Is speedtronic the limiter function?

I use that a lot now. Mainly on motorways and A/B roads where I can find myself wanting to press on hard.

Using CC isn't something I do, but I cannot see the danger as the driver can brake if need be or use the CC to reduce the speed just as you could ease off the accelerator.

Is speedtronic the limiter function?

I use that a lot now. Mainly on motorways and A/B roads where I can find myself wanting to press on hard.

Using CC isn't something I do, but I cannot see the danger as the driver can brake if need be or use the CC to reduce the speed just as you could ease off the accelerator.

Yes speedtronic is the speed limiter.

I personally feel using cruise control in an urban area doesn't give the same level if driver involvement as speedtronic. Just the same reason Belgium has banned its use on crowded motorways.

But as I said before all IMHO.

Going downhill yesterday on 2005 W211, it limiting the increase in speed, was wondering what happened to the petrol, putting back in the loop to recycle or purged and wasted or is it the SBC barking?

Yes speedtronic is the speed limiter.

I personally feel using cruise control in an urban area doesn't give the same level if driver involvement as speedtronic. Just the same reason Belgium has banned its use on crowded motorways.

But as I said before all IMHO.

How have they banned it? That must be difficult to prove?

Yes and maybe, in that order. The law was introduced after a couple of fairly major pile-ups caused by trucks ploughing into the back of slower moving traffic allegedly while on cruise.

Folks, I've noticed several comments on the forum regarding the depth of thought and engineering expertise which goes into a Benz and I think I may have just experienced my first little MB 'Eureka' moment.

I was out yesterday in the E220 and in an effort to avoid the congestion at some roadworks, I ended up on one of those little roads linking a series of villages / small towns with only a mile or so of open road between them. I often use cruise control function to help stay within the urban speed limits, so had the CC set to 30 mph for the towns. The sections of road between the towns were national speed limit, so I just accelerated up to 60mph without resetting or cancelling the CC.

What was quite noticeable when lifting off the power on the approach to the next town was the amount of engine braking available. It felt like the CC was doing its best to get the speed back down quickly to the programmed setting of 30mph - to the extent that it seemed as though the brakes were being applied gently. I didn't have the speed limiter function engaged, just the CC.

I know W211's have a lot of electronic gadgetry built in to them, so out of curiosity, I checked the manual when I got home. If I'm interpreting the manual correctly, the CC will indeed apply the brakes if required to maintain the desired speed. I've owned many cars with CC, but none of them were clever enough to apply the brakes if needed - love it!

BTW: does anyone know if the brake lights illuminate when the CC applies any braking?

Yes they do.

One of the annoying things about SBC for me is that when you use 'Hold' the brakelights illuminate. Really annoying for following drivers stuck behind you at lights.

One of the annoying things about SBC for me is that when you use 'Hold' the brakelights illuminate. Really annoying for following drivers stuck behind you at lights.

Aye, but SBC is holding the brake for you, instead of you pushing the pedal in, it is electronically doing the same, hence illuminating your lights.

Look at it another way, it makes you more visable for moving traffic approaching from behind.

I for one have never been dazzled by brake lights at night, I don't know where that point comes from but if people are, its because they are too close to the back of your car, and thats their problem if that dazzles them. Trucks are well above the line of sight of your brakes lights, so it shouldnt be an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom