Damn climate control...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Jump into my car... switch on the climate control (which still makes the engine react to it), and it doesn't want to work?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It sounds like its clogged... i can hear it opening up (click sounds) and closing, and i can hear the attempt of air to come out, but when i put my hand on the actual vent, nothing is coming out!!!! hot or cold!

help!!

it sounds like it is... but i cant feel anything and it feels extremely weak... (sound and blowing wise) on full blast

Last edited:
Take out the dust filter and see if its blocked.

where is it? passenger footwell?

Been using re-circ on mine for the first couple of minutes each morning (to help it warm up quicker). Noticed on re-circ the volume of air increases - might be worth a try to see if it's any different on yours.

Hi,
Take a look at this thread, step by step how to change the filter, it can get missed when serviced, if your car has been outside of the dealer network a while, very cheap £15-£20 from MB, or £8-£10 from Euros.

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/blower.html

I've got a feeling its the actual blower... when i switch on the climate thing, it clicks on and off, but i get no noise from a fan or blower at all anymore... and hot air only comes out when i'm driving at speed.. (think its cuz air is entering the engine).

Are these expensive to replace?

Are you using it on 'AUTO' or Manual??? I find using Auto mode that most of the air goes into the footwell and windscreen. The face level vents get very little.
Try all your settings (if you haven't already!)

going to have a look at the fuse box today when i get home..hopefully its that, if that doesn't do the trick i'm going to have to see how much a new blower is... :(

Dammit, its not the fuses, and i dont know anyone near my area to do a check on it so it can be diagnosed... bit stuck here

I'm like 80% sure its the blower. when i switch it on, the engine's revs dip down and back up again, and i can feel some hot air come out when i'm driving at speed. So the elements seem to be working, but there's no blowing air??

Can anyone give me advice on this logic? Should i just buy a motor from GSF or something and try it out?

The fact the engine dips when you switch on the blower points to a siezed or stalled motor. No back EMF to oppose the current flow equals high current draw and a potential fire as the motor overheats if the situation persists.

To get at the blower (from Haynes)

Remove passenger lower fascia panel by turning the plastic fastener holding the air vent by 90 deg, pull out fastener and pull off panel.

Slide the two white plastic locking clips towards each other and to release the blower access panel.

Remove two resistor pack retaining screws and two wires noting their connections.

Remove four torx screws from motor and out it pops.

To get at the blower (from Haynes)...

Remove passenger lower fascia panel by turning the plastic fastener holding the air vent by 90 deg, pull out fastener and pull off panel.

Slide the two white plastic locking clips towards each other and to release the blower access panel.

Remove two resistor pack retaining screws and two wires noting their connections.

Remove four torx screws from motor and out it pops.
There's a few steps missing there???

Hi Rage,
This happened to me few years ago in my W124 climate control,the problem was a separate fuse in a black box in the engine (after the firewall near the brake master),the fuse looks like a flat plate and costs me nothing,it is in a small black box in front of the driver's side,(by the way my car is LHD),you can open the black box with a screwdriver and check whether the fuse is blown.
Hope this helps you.
Sub_Zero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom