'Damp smell' - what's the cause?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tlbham

Car
2001 CLK430
Hi - does anyone know why my interior would smell of damp (like wet socks!) sometimes, particularly after a cleaning of the exterior.

I've also noticed condensation forming on the windscreen (from the blower) as soon as I turn the car on whenever there is this smell.

Do you reckon there be some water getting into the fan system and 'festering'?

Thanks.

CLK W208 without climate control. I very rarely use the A/C - a friend thinks this might be a contributing factor.

Another possible problem is the car is garaged overnight (so maybe water can't evaporate away like normal?).

I have similar problem but without that strong smell and on mine seems as mayor problem is that my car has no chances to properly heat-up inside during my short trips.

You need to try and establish if the smell is related to the heating/aircon system.

If NOT, then it could be water ingress e.g. from the bottom of the windscreen, or the lower part of the door seal.

Another possibility is that the leak is from the heater matrix - in which case it would be accompanied by some coolant lose and probably smell of coolant in the cabin.

Are the foot-wells wet at all?

If however it is from the heating/aircon, then some antibacterial spray will help. I tried the Coma product, and that didn't do much for me - but just normal air refreshener with antibacterial agent will help (I picked one up from the local Tesco).

The trick is to close all windows and set the car to full heat blower, then slowly spray half a can into the cabin air intake (on my w203, it is behind the cabin filter above the battery in the engine compartment). It will take several applications, it took 3-4 applications over two weeks for the mouldy stench in my car to clear completely. I suspect that occasional top-ups will be required to keep it that way.

Other than that, regular use of the aircon will help.

Last edited:
or the soft top if it is a convertible, or sun roof if it is normal one (usually the channels to drop the water) outside are blocked cleared by straightened coat hanger throught the channel

I think I have found the cause.... remember it was smelling damp straight after the car was washed. Well today it's been fine. I think it's because after noticing the smell on Saturday, I wiped dry the door seals (which were retaining water from the cleaning)...the smell seems to have gone away faster than before (when it would stay for a week sometimes).

I reckon the condensation issue might have been because damp air was being recirculated onto the cold window, not water in the vents system.

Air con system start to smell like this when they are not used often, it starts with damp and then starts to smell fishy.

I would run the car with the air con on all the time, for at least a few weeks, this will kill all the bacteria off, which is what the smell is.

If your windows steam when you start the car you know there is too much mositure in in, so put your air con on and dry the car out, it will take a few weeks.

I got in a mates car the other morning and he has no air con, and we had to wait for the windows to clear, I haven't done that for over 15 years, I had actually forgotten that windows steamed up.

damp smell

i had that last year. Resolved by running the heating of full heat with a hot engine for 20 mins or so. (you may need to open the windows to avoid cooking) and keep on driving. I think it kills all the bugs in the vent system.

Smells much better afterwards and has not recurred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom