Dampers question ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
What's the liklihood of dropping the shocks on an estate to get a 40mm (or thereabouts) drop?

I would assume there's no problem with the fronts. But what impact would it have with the rear self-levelling suspension?

Or is it worth swapping the whole self-levelling out for a fixed (or adjustable) set - taking note that only 3-4 times a year do I actually have the boot full of anything heavy.

That done - any particular brands suit an MB?

Many thanks in advance,

Maxi K(ev)

Changing shocks will not lower the car,I think you mean the springs.

Changing springs on any Merc is a hassle due to the type of spring compressor reqd(I changed mine without one but I wouldn't recommend it)
As far as the SLS, I have seen a 190E 2.5 16V with lowered suspension and he said that it still levelled out OK. I don't know about the possible damage to the levelling units due to the car being lowered.

I have Eibachs on my 190 and they don't make the car to 'stiff' to drive, but if you are looking for a sporty ride the H&R's are apparently the ones to go for.

Remember that Mercedes used a spring pad system with various thicknesses so you can fine tune your ride height

Bazza

Yes Bazza - I meant the whole system - springs included.

I did not know about having the ability to adjust the ride height. Is this standard across the range?

Oh if only I had a Haynes manual handy ...

Motard - if I popped over for the weekend - fancy giving us a hand? Mind you - I'd need the rear suspension for all the wine I'd bring back!

Maxi K(ev)

HI Kinky, a friend of mine with an F reg estate has lowered his by changing the springs, he said it was quite easy,mind you he does own a garage,it didn't make any difference to the self levelling,all still works fine. be a devil go for it. if you like i can ask him how its done. Rob

The spring pads are numbered with #1 being the thinnest and I think the W124's go up to#5.
The differnce isn't great but for example I use #1 at the front of my car and #3's at the rear (due to 1 sprog and another on the way) just to keep the rear end up a little so when it does get loaded there is less chance of rubbing.
To find out what you have on your car look at the top of the spring where it sits in a rubber seat. this is actually the spring pad. around the edge of the pad you will see some raised dimples,1 dimple meaning #1 and so on.
There is a list of part numbers with a list of the thickness' on the web somewhere, I just can't remeber where.

Best person to ask would probably be Koolvin as I see he's over at Bnzsport alot

Bazza

tee hee - go for it Kinky :)

From what I've found out - been considering the same drop.....

1, the rear springs are very easy to change - the front ones are not :( you need to get hold of the Merc spring compressor as they are so highly compressed and awkward to get at.

http://www.samstagsales.com/klann_spring.htm

now say "ouch" when you read the price of them :)

2, the self levelling isn't a problem - you can adjust it to suit the lowered settings AFAIK

3, 35-40mm shorter springs are fairly common place - I've seen a few sets on ebay.

4, you will need to get your steering/suspension geometry set up again afterwards

5, whilst you are taking it apart you may as well go for the sportline anti roll bars to stiffen things up even more. All the parts are available from the dealers

http://www.mercedesshop.com/sportline_suspension.htm

HTH

Andy

Bob - you hold the spanners - I'll hold the wine.

Maxi K(ev)

Thinking of doing this shortly on my W124.....was going to do it myself but the price of the spring compresors has frightened me off a little....

why cant I use someething like THIS?

The clamps won't fit between the coils.
The proper spring compressor uses 2 round, cupped plates with a thread in the centre. You compress using a screwed rod through the centre of the spring.
If you're a bit handy you could make one from some flat bar and a bit 10mm screwed rod
Although I have heard of people hiring them(don't know where from)

Bazza

Can hire the one below for £12/day from http://www.higear.co.uk/hire/products/vehi.htm

mini-spring-comp.jpg

Having changed two front springs in the past, I do not envy you the job. It is one of the most difficult jobs to do , and put me off self maintenance for life, and I am a trained Engineer. The spring clamp is a must and it is ideally a two man job, so forget the wine till afterwards, you will need it by then. Good luck.:crazy: :crazy:

Kinky,

If you are holding the wine and I am holding the spanners we need someone to do the work! I reckon Andy_k might be rather good.......

Bob

Noooooooooooooo, Andy k no good, he will just sit there playing his guitar so you will still need another to do the work. :D :D

He can play my guitar! You volunteering Rob? Maybe we can make a GTG out of it, Paul can come to show people the way!

Bob

Hey ..... hold on a sec .....

If I'm holding the wine, and Bob is holding the tools and Andy is playing the guitar .... whos going to do the work?

I reckon we (honestly) need a GTG to 'actively' discuss and strategise.

Maxi K(ev)

Just say the word guys! Off season accomodation can be cheap down here but you would have to support local industry by consuming lots of wine and oysters.

Bob

tee hee - i'm having nothing more to do with rear suspension systems on estates for a while - will post details later - but there has been a lot of swearing involved!!! :(

Andy

Originally posted by andy_k
tee hee - i'm having nothing more to do with rear suspension systems on estates for a while - will post details later - but there has been a lot of swearing involved!!! :(

Andy

You been playing with your car then Andy?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom