Danger - low flying Collie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Friend just send me this pic. of my 8 year old Border Collie in 'maximum attack' mode at Newbury showground on Saturday ... the course turns to the right after that jump, which is why he's grazing the upright - taking the tightest line.

This was in a team relay class ... 4 dogs and handlers with a baton change between each. Over 900 dogs running in that class :eek: (227 teams), we came 8th.

Wallingford2007Tipinteam-1.jpg

And the motoring connection, erm I'm buying a Vito 120 to get to shows quicker :D

Brilliant! You can't say the collie isn't enjoying it. If my mum's collie wasn't quite as old and stiff now, he'd have a field day with an event like that- if his constant psychopathic urge to start on other dogs could be curbed!!

Great dogs- Very eager to please and love running around like loons!

Yup the great things about agility are:

1. You can't make dogs do it if they don't want to
2. It's not subjective - electronic timing to 3 decimal places, and either your dog knocked a pole off or it didn't
3. It keeps you fit
4. It keeps your dog fit (my 12 year old is still competing)

We have 5 Collies:

dogsonwalk.jpg

Lovely pics Bill - your dogs are a credit to you and all the very hard work you putin!:rock: :rock:

:bannana: :bannana: Absolute respect for you and your K9's. I watched the Cruft's Agility this year and was amazed at the speed with which the dogs and of course the handlers negotiated the course.

No votes for beauty contests though:eek: :eek:

I used to compete in Working Trials where speed was not a factor, so a GSD always had a good chance of winning :D

I just love seeing dogs work and most important ENJOYING what they are doing.

Well done again.

John

Great dogs we had a border collie Ben, we had to have him put to sleep when he was 18 :eek: which is a great age...

My parents have got a Northern Inuit (husky) now, I had him Saturday as my parents went out for the day :cool: :D

We would love to have a Dog but its not fair as Tracy and me are both at work allday..:(

Finally got a couple of pics of him...:)

100_0570.jpg

100_0571.jpg

I watched the Cruft's Agility this year and was amazed at the speed with which the dogs and of course the handlers negotiated the course.

My wife was there, running for Germany in the International Pentathlon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3BbL7rD-Vs

None of the dogs run as well on the artificial surface, but at least it's astro-turf now rather than plain green carpet (which the agility dogs used to get friction burns on)!

I used to compete in Working Trials where speed was not a factor, so a GSD always had a good chance of winning :D

Agility was a spin-off from WT originally (late 70s), so to start with the majority of dogs competing were GSDs. There are a few very good ones around at the moment, although they can't compete with Collies at the higher levels.

Agility was a spin-off from WT originally (late 70s), so to start with the majority of dogs competing were GSDs. There are a few very good ones around at the moment, although they can't compete with Collies at the higher levels.
:D :devil: So that's what happened when I had to stop competing! :)

Totally agree that a GSD could never compete against those top collies. The speed that the dogs went round in was mind blowing, but I still take my hat off to the handlers fior having the control of their dogs.

The other 'Must Watch' at Crufts is the lady that does the display (Mary Ray). This years James Bond theme was at her usual high standard, but my personal favourite was her 'Sourcers Apprentice' of a few years ago.

John

The other 'Must Watch' at Crufts is the lady that does the display (Mary Ray).

Yup I know Mary and her husband Dave well. Mary has competed at a very high level in both agility and obedience.

Yup I know Mary and her husband Dave well. Mary has competed at a very high level in both agility and obedience.
:) She is certainly someone that I have the greatest of respect for. To win obedience championships and use those same dogs to do those displays, speak volumes.

Respect

John the very envious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom