Dangerous criminal idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSilverEstate

Car
2011 E350cdi Sport Estate, and the wife's car: 2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0tdi
As a quick bit of background, I live on a side street just off a fairly major thoroughfare in South East London. Directly across the main road is another street which has bollards at the end so only the emergency services can get onto it.

So this afternoon I was getting my older daughter (not quite 3) strapped into her seat about to run an errand with her in my wife's golf. Her seat was on the drivers side so I was in the middle of the road.

I looked to my right and see a tatty Polo steaming down the side street on the other side of the main road, pursued by a patrol car and showing no sign of slowing down for the bollards. I judged that I did not have time to get my daughter out of her seat and to safety so she would be safest where she was in the car. I closed the door and got onto the pavement.

Sure enough the idiots blasted through the bollards, hit side on an unsuspecting Beetle driving along the main road and somehow managed to get across to our street before losing control (blown tyre) and slamming into a bollard at the side of the road and a parked car. The miscreants tore off in different directions on foot with police in pursuit. One of them headed straight for our local park which we had left half an hour earlier and where there were lots of small children attending a birthday party.

All in all a scary experience as I was very worried in case either the car could have lost control further up our street and hit the car my daughter was in, or that things could have become desperate once they were in pursuit on foot and guns become involved. As a postscript, the owners of the Beetle (i believe) came back to pick up their car this evening, one of them a heavily pregnant woman.

So many vulnerable people put at risk by some cowardly idiots protecting their own skins - made my blood boil.

I am glad you and your daughter are ok,must have spoilt your day,when you witness such an event it tends to make you feel edgy.Hope the police got a result and caught them, and the poor woman gets her car sorted swiftly.

Get a gun. The police can't protect you. It would be naive to expect them to.

I'm glad your family are safe.

Get a gun. The police can't protect you. It would be naive to expect them to.

I'm glad your family are safe.

Please please please - we have already had one thread on Guns locked - lets not send this one down that route, especially when it's an off topic statement.

Sounds like you had a bad experience there BigSilverEstate - glad to see no one undeserving was injured. I always wondered whether bollards can really stop anything going at a decent pace - some of these concrete ones you see don't look up to the job, even if they might be steel reinforced. Glad to see they worked in this case!

The bollards are steel ones which can be lowered / removed with a key, and your first instinct was right, I.e. they were not up to a bit of determined opposition, although the polo did meet its end shortly afterwards and the collision on the main road could have been much worse if they had not been there to knock quite a lot of speed out of it.

Glad you are okay - these things can really shake you up, especially when our young and most vulnerable are potentially put at risk.

If they are caught, I can only imagine that sadly the punishment will not be fitting for their crime.

Glad you and your daughter are OK.

Very sad business. The sort of people who have no disregard to others are likely to go on a commit more serious crimes in future.

If they are caught, I can only imagine that sadly the punishment will not be fitting for their crime.

The sort of people who have no disregard to others are likely to go on a commit more serious crimes in future.

I agree with both of the above posts.

However, I should think a contirbutory factor that encourages such wreckless behaviour lies in the lack of detarrent to offenders.

It is commonplace to see this sort of thing shown on programmes such as 'Police Camera Action' only for an announcement at the end of the show declaring that the youths that drove the stolen Vauxhall Corsa through a shop window were given an £80 fine, ordered to pronounce the word with, 'With' instead of Wiv' and told not to put their hands down their 'Trackie Bottoms' before entering a GREGGS Bakery to buy a cheeeeze'n'unnyen pastie, innit. :rolleyes:

Okay, I'm middle aged, but I know I'm right. :devil:

Glad to hear you and yours escaped unscathed, BigSilverEstate.

Dieselman said:
Why wouldn't they be, they weren't hit, He just witnessed the action.

The OP is stating he was worried for his daughter's safety (he decided to leave in the car), as well as his (he moved to the pavement).

We expressed our relief that the speeding vehicles actually missed his car and himself, or they might not have been OK...

In other words, I am happy he ended up a witness and not a victim.

Last edited:
Sadly can happen anywhere.

When I was a student I lived in Bristol on a busy road in a decent area. One night a car, subsequently turned out to be stolen came tearing around a corner to hit the neighbours parked car (where mine often was too). The girls I lived with were rather pleased when within 5 minutes we ended up with a van full of policeman in the front room asking for descriptions of the miscreants that had run off.

Two weeks later we hear a car screaming in protest. In the same place, albeit without the collision is a worse for wear car, that had also been stolen and decided to expire.

Glad you and your daughter escaped without harm or injury OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom