Dare I buy a Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RolandK

Car
Still window shopping!
I decided a while back to get another car and shortlisted BMW 3 series, Audi A4,
Lexus IS250 and C Class. Decided on a C Class so asked questions on here and got good advice relating to potential mechanical problems and rusty subframes on older cars. So taking that all into account I decided wait and get more budget set aside. Having looked at the other shortlisted cars I still really want a C Class. I'm zeroing in on a petrol C250 2011 facelift which gives me a good compromise on running costs and performance. But MB are making the decision to buy really difficult. Setting aside the rusty subframe issue I'm totally frustrated that MB don't seem capable of making an engine that hasn't got some potential time bomb hidden in it! For example why can't they manage to engineer proper timing chains and timing gears? Doesn't seem to make any difference whether you go petrol or diesel. So damn frustrating!

A somewhat dramatic post without context.

What about VW/Audi with failing oil pump drives never mind the problems BMW have had with the N47 Diesel timing chains etc , etc

Be realistic, how many out of the hundreds of thousands of these "problem" engines actually fail?

The faults make headlines but the satisfied customers without problems rarely do.

A somewhat dramatic post without context.

What about VW/Audi with failing oil pump drives never mind the problems BMW have had with the N47 Diesel timing chains etc , etc

Be realistic, how many out of the hundreds of thousands of these "problem" engines actually fail?

The faults make headlines but the satisfied customers without problems rarely do.
Yeah, sorry it was a bit of a rant!
I'm aware that other manufacturers have issues as well but I was focussing on MB as that's what I decided upon. It's just that timing chains and timing gears aren't an exactly untried and experimental method of operating valves so I don't understand why they are so problematic on many current engines for several major manufacturers.
I don't know how many of these engines fail. Be interesting to know.
Cheers

Yeah, sorry it was a bit of a rant!
I'm aware that other manufacturers have issues as well but I was focussing on MB as that's what I decided upon. It's just that timing chains and timing gears aren't an exactly untried and experimental method of operating valves so I don't understand why they are so problematic on many current engines for several major manufacturers.
I don't know how many of these engines fail. Be interesting to know.
Cheers
It sort of depends what age car at what mileage you buy and how long you keep it?
If you buy relatively new and don’t do much mileage and don’t keep the car for years and years you won’t have any problems .

Yes buy a mercedes. This is a mercedes forum, we love the brand.

No matter what machine we are talking about, they all have weak spots. Long gone are the days you can buy something and it will last forever. Oh wait except my Meile oven.

No matter what machine we are talking about, they all have weak spots. Long gone are the days you can buy something and it will last forever. Oh wait except my Meile oven.
My parents had a refrigerator bought when they married that lasted for 37 years and although long banished to the garage to store white wine and beers it was still used

When it failed my mother looked for the receipt and wondered if she could take it back! 🤣.

They found someone who repaired it and it lasted another 5 years before terminal corrosion claimed it.

Last edited:
M113 engines are pretty tough.. Find a nice V8 Mercedes... C55AMG estate.. that would be my err choice for a second (read 4th) car

My guess its to do with the fact more robust timing gear might have greater frictional losses. Placing the timing gear at the rear of the engine may also aid engine packaging/lower bonnet lines engine block dimensions etc ------ or just to save money? :dk:

Or our Neff oven, washer/dryer, halogen hob, and everything else Neff we have :)

I have been a car owner for forty years. I have owned my Merc for three years. It has been the most expensive car to maintain that i have ever owned. Consistently one expense after another. I do all my own maintenance and if i had to pay for a garage to do this i would be bankrupt by now.

if you are worried buy a Ford or Toyota. Good cars.

on the positive side, the Merc is the most luxurious car I've owned and i still feel a sense of occasion with every journey. The driving view down the bonnet to the propeller emblem satisfies my shallow sense of snobbery. I love the smell of the leather interior.

Dare you buy one? If you are willing to pay what it costs then go ahead.

I have been a car owner for forty years. I have owned my Merc for three years. It has been the most expensive car to maintain that i have ever owned. Consistently one expense after another. I do all my own maintenance and if i had to pay for a garage to do this i would be bankrupt by now.

if you are worried buy a Ford or Toyota. Good cars.

on the positive side, the Merc is the most luxurious car I've owned and i still feel a sense of occasion with every journey. The driving view down the bonnet to the propeller emblem satisfies my shallow sense of snobbery. I love the smell of the leather interior.

Dare you buy one? If you are willing to pay what it costs then go ahead.
I have had many MB’s since 1993 and they have cost me very little except for servicing. The only problem I have had recently was on my last W204 where I had to replace a speed sensor and that cost me around £130. I have however only ever bought low mileage but the rewards have been virtually trouble free motoring from MB and I wouldn’t have anything else, love ‘em :)

I have had many MB’s since 1993 and they have cost me very little except for servicing. The only problem I have had recently was on my last W204 where I had to replace a speed sensor and that cost me around £130. I have however only ever bought low mileage but the rewards have been virtually trouble free motoring from MB and I wouldn’t have anything else, love ‘em :)
How much have you spent on servicing?

I am looking at a 2011 on car sub 50k miles. I'd do around 6k miles a year these days. My cars are always maintained well. I used to do much of the work myself but now old age is creeping up with me so cost of servicing and repairs is a consideration. I've had 3 Mercs in the past. A W123 that was faultless. A low mileage CLK 320 that was a nightmare and an A Class that developed a fault no one could diagnose so had to get rid of it! So why would I even consider another one? Because like others are saying they are one of those cars that have a special quality and feel; a feel good factor. They weren't quite the most expensive to maintain of all the cars I've had; that distinction goes to Jaguars closely followed by BMWs but I love those too! Most reliable and cheap to run cars we've had? Fords (good workhorses but not special), Toyota, Mazda and Hondas.
Thanks all for the input.

Last edited:
Cheapest car I've had is the Volvo v70 d5 I'm on my 2nd now, I service it myself only thing its needed is a new window screen as it's a common fault that they leak 🙄 other than that bomb proof

Internet forums highlight issues but aren't the place to get a balanced view of how things really run.

If you think that vehicles are spontaneously combusting into a pile of rust and broken bits, have a look for your preferred model on www.howmanyleft.co.uk which shows just how many cars of a certain type were made and how quickly they've been scrapped. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of your 2011 cars have been scrapped now, and most of those were written off because of accident damage or high (150,000+) miles.

It's amazing how many cars which are alleged to be "time bombs" are still running happily 20 years after they came out of the showroom. Cars get written off because they're old and worth less than the cost of a big service and a set of new tyres.

Toyota's are reliable and go on forever. To English tastes they're dull, characterless, unpleasant and instantly forgettable, but if you like the styling, why not?

Don't expect it easy to find a good, low mileage, 2011 petrol C250 easily. With service history, low mileage and few owners, they sell quickly, but that's used cars for you. Good cars are sold within days, not so great cars stay on Autotrader for ages. Twas ever thus.

OP . It's good that you have noted the rusty sub frame issue because the model you are looking at W204 is the worst culprit for 'invisible' dangerous sub frame rot. The earlier (W203's) don't generally have a problem in this area.

Happy hunting and good luck.

P.S the advice in post #8 regarding a C55 with a M113 engine is valid. But unless it is a Jap import , been previously restored or a garage queen. Rust will be lurking in the bodywork .

The OP echoes my thoughts exactly !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom