Dare I buy a Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP . It's good that you have noted the rusty sub frame issue because the model you are looking at W204 is the worst culprit for 'invisible' dangerous sub frame rot. The earlier (W203's) don't generally have a problem in this area.

Happy hunting and good luck.

P.S the advice in post #8 regarding a C55 with a M113 engine is valid. But unless it is a Jap import , been previously restored or a garage queen. Rust will be lurking in the bodywork .
I agree that the C55 is a mouth watering prospect but takes me some way away from where I need to be regarding running costs etc.!

I have been a car owner for forty years. I have owned my Merc for three years. It has been the most expensive car to maintain that i have ever owned. Consistently one expense after another. I do all my own maintenance and if i had to pay for a garage to do this i would be bankrupt by now.

if you are worried buy a Ford or Toyota. Good cars.

on the positive side, the Merc is the most luxurious car I've owned and i still feel a sense of occasion with every journey. The driving view down the bonnet to the propeller emblem satisfies my shallow sense of snobbery. I love the smell of the leather interior.

Dare you buy one? If you are willing to pay what it costs then go ahead.
On the other hand, I have owned cars for nearly 45 years and, without doubt, the w215 CL500 has been the cheapest car I have ever run.

Well the op would do well to remember those lines from Dirty Harry,"do you feel lucky punk" I can understand where he is coming from,it seems MB cars built in the last 7 years are full of problems and expensive ones at that,but you have to temper that view with the fact we do not have a section for members saying how trouble free their own cars have been,so we only get the problems aired on here,with the C class I would steer clear of the hybrid ones,friends have had two and they were a big problem that said MB cars are as comlicated as all the new breed of cars from other makes and the more complicated the things to go wrong.

They don't make em like they used to..... Screenshot_20220105-131126_Readly.jpg

Sorry to say if you are looking for trouble free motoring then you're going to be disappointed with a diesel mercedes. They're good cars, nice to drive and are not unreliable - but they are a long way from trouble free. Trouble free cars are Japanese and petrol.

I have been a car owner for forty years. I have owned my Merc for three years. It has been the most expensive car to maintain that i have ever owned. Consistently one expense after another. I do all my own maintenance and if i had to pay for a garage to do this i would be bankrupt by now.

if you are worried buy a Ford or Toyota. Good cars.

on the positive side, the Merc is the most luxurious car I've owned and i still feel a sense of occasion with every journey. The driving view down the bonnet to the propeller emblem satisfies my shallow sense of snobbery. I love the smell of the leather interior.

Dare you buy one? If you are willing to pay what it costs then go ahead.

Generally it’s between £300 to £400 annually, not horrendous :)

They don't make em like they used to..... View attachment 122871
Ain't that the truth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom