Dartford Crossing - ANPR. A warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

Please be aware that following a recent spat with the Dartford Crossing Fines Department!!

I have been advised that the Crossing ANPR system works on a quarterly uplift of the ANPR database and not a "live feed" of ANPR.

Why should I care?

You will, if you have changed plates on your car recently and updated your details on Your Account with the Crossing Website.

I changed my plates with the DVLA Website and received my confirmation letters etc. I updated my details on the Dart Crossing Website (which it accepted). A couple of weeks later, I used the crossing, then received a letter telling me, I had been fined for using a vehicle with "non registered" numberplates that were not registered to my car on the day of my crossing.

The upshot was (after many letters and telephone calls) the Dart folks conceded that they use a quarterly snapshot and not a live feed from ANPR. This means that at any time their records will be out of date and you be issued a fine IF you correctly update your records on their website.

Madness? yes but it is true.

They waived the fine?

They did. But not graciously. "we are prepared to accept that on this occasion that a mistake was made" No mistake. Their deliberate use of out of date information lead to my time and expense in clearing this up. No apology.

What would be your legal position if you wrote to any company that made a mistake and stated that your time is money and has to be paid for? I charge £25 for investigating this and writing to point out your mistake. If I do not hear from you within 10 days I will assume that you have realised your mistake and will take no further action.

Any legal guys out there have an opinion?

That entire DART Charge set up is an utter farce. The lack of signage for a start is ridiculous, the odd message saying to pay on-line and really no clear indications of what's happening.

I can only imagine the amount they're making in fines through people's ignorance rather than doing anything deliberate. I'm not shocked by your point there at all OP. :(

I can only imagine the amount they're making in fines through people's ignorance rather than doing anything deliberate.

Over £50M, apparently.

The new Runcorn-Widnes bridge is over a million already. The old one was free and it's not very obvious that you have to pay (online) now.

I had a few PCN's cancelled in various London boroughs.

What annoys me is that the letter usually starts with a lengthy explanation as to why the alleged offence is very serious and can cause serious disruptions etc etc, and then saying that 'on this occasion' they have decide do cancel the PCN etc etc.

I often had to urge to reply that I am fully aware how serious this offence is... which is why I did not commit it in the first place! Their warden simply got it wrong, which is why the PCN was rightly cancelled... I don't need being berated for something they accepted I did not actually do.

Over £50M, apparently.

The new Runcorn-Widnes bridge is over a million already. The old one was free and it's not very obvious that you have to pay (online) now.

You can also pay by phone or pop in to their local office!! (I asked them in an email)

perhaps if everyone stopped at the dartford crossing and went into the office to pay.........................

All this trouble at the Dartford crossing and it should have been free years ago,when they built the second tunnel they said it would be free after they got their money back then we had the bridge built, and again they said after the costs and future repairs was covered it would be free,all this and the A road that feeds this mess either side of the crossing which grabs loads of speeding fines and the whole area is just a giant money making rip off.

All bridges and tunnels in Scotland are free at point of use.

Sorry.

I think they are quite lenient.

Two of my drivers in two cars went on Dartford bridge and asked me to pay for it and I totally forgot until a week later and quickly paid online hoping nothing will happen. It's nearly four months and still no fine. :D

Hi , I have seen an unmarked ANPR car today in Worcester.Unmarked may be an incorrect discription because it had a small sign on the door.

Struggling to work out how this is relevant to a 4 year old thread about the Dartford Crossing :rolleyes:
Hi , just as other members have mentioned bridges and tunnels in Scotland and issues in London !

Cannot see your comment about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom