Dartford crossing toll booths end on Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
In case you hadn't heard, the toll booths on the Dartford crossing close on 30th November and it will then no longer be possible to pay as you cross:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dart-charge-dartford-crossing-remote-payment

Obviously they would like people to pre-pay, because then they have your money earning interest for them ;) If you don't then you pay a higher rate than now :rolleyes: due by midnight the following day (just like the London congestion charge with payment by phone etc.).

As above they claim they'll be using a European debt collection agency to chase foreign-registered vehicles ... wonder how many of those will know anything about it, or how legally enforceable the recovery will be in other countries?

Anyway ... one issue with setting up an account is that you have to enter the vehicle details, not sure how that would work for us as sometimes we're towing and sometimes we aren't?!

another way for them to decrease the deficit...banking on the fact that a number of road users will not know about the change or how to get set up correctly - they will be forced to pay the higher rate

i bet the politicians that came up with this are patting themselves on the back

Yup.

How they justify charging a higher rate for non 'pre-paid' crossing in the first place is beyond me when they've slashed their costs by getting rid of all the booths, staff, handling of cash, etc.

Obviously it will help cut the traffic jams there though, which is a plus.

another way for them to decrease the deficit...banking on the fact that a number of road users will not know about the change or how to get set up correctly - they will be forced to pay the higher rate

i bet the politicians that came up with this are patting themselves on the back

If it is anything like the system used around Dublin...it'll be easy. In fact it would be hard to see how anyone could fail to notice they had to pay...and where to ring.

I think I have only ever used the bridge once......so not too often......and on that occasion I had not pre-planned to make the crossing.

I will utilise the option, if I ever cross again, to pay before midnight the day after crossing.

Useful information nonetheless.

Mic

It's not clear how much cheaper it is to have a pre pay account.

In case you hadn't heard, the toll booths on the Dartford crossing close on 30th November and it will then no longer be possible to pay as you cross:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dart-charge-dartford-crossing-remote-payment

Obviously they would like people to pre-pay, because then they have your money earning interest for them ;) If you don't then you pay a higher rate than now :rolleyes: due by midnight the following day (just like the London congestion charge with payment by phone etc.).

As above they claim they'll be using a European debt collection agency to chase foreign-registered vehicles ... wonder how many of those will know anything about it, or how legally enforceable the recovery will be in other countries?

Anyway ... one issue with setting up an account is that you have to enter the vehicle details, not sure how that would work for us as sometimes we're towing and sometimes we aren't?!

Sounds daft .

The way forward is for you guys down south to elect an SNP government to run your country as well . :D

Then , just as they abolished the tolls on the Forth , Tay and Erskine bridges , they could do away with tolls on that crossing ( and a few others ) .

The doing away with tolls has reduced congestion ( not sure why we need another Forth crossing since the existing bridge can handle as much traffic as the approach roads ) , but has also seen an increase in use of the bridges since people are not put off by the tolls .

If you don't like what your elected members are doing , you have the power to change things - a lot of them will be very worried come the next election , after what happened up here , and you can bet your boots some will have grown new sets of listening ears :)

I think I have only ever used the bridge once......so not too often......and on that occasion I had not pre-planned to make the crossing.

I will utilise the option, if I ever cross again, to pay before midnight the day after crossing.

Useful information nonetheless.

Mic

Same here : been over it twice in my life .

Auto top up initial deposit £10

Minimum balance before top up £10

So they always have at least £10 of your money earning interest for them. Multiply that by the number of users and you have a tidy amount.

I assume they'll be reducing the toll fee, as they'll no longer employ collectors?

We came through the tunnel on our way back from France this summer. I don't think/can't remember paying extra for the caravan then and looking at the table it seems to be the same now although for single infrequent users the extra .50p just because they don't pre-register seems a bit high-handed.
Not the end of the world however.

Maybe we Scots should just start charging you foreign nationals the 50p to use our bridges. Payable in advance please :D

The Dublin toll (M50) is superb. I don't mind the bigger cost as the delays will be slashed.

I'm less impressed with the pre-pay credit. I'm registered for Dublin and they bill in arrears once a month.

BTB I believe from memory that they are not charging extra for trailers?

I'm parking the discussion that they promised there would not be any tolls after bridge paid for!

not sure why we need another Forth crossing since the existing bridge can handle as much traffic as the approach roads

From an engineering perspective, the existing bridge wasn't that well specified/designed and has now reached/exceeded it's original parameters for traffic flow, weight, vibration, etc.
_

From an engineering perspective, the existing bridge wasn't that well specified/designed and has now reached/exceeded it's original parameters for traffic flow, weight, vibration, etc.
_

Perhaps the designers/engineers should have taken lessons from Sir Willaim Arrol then : his bridge will celebrate its 125th anniversary in 4 months and is still going strong :thumb:

I got collared by the London Congestion Charge soon after it came in. I knew I had to pay, and was honestly expecting a bill through the post..... not a default notice. Up here in Newcastle there was no press or notification that you needed to pay within 24 hours or indeed how to pay.

Thanks for this though - again, up here there's been nothing in the news or press about it and I do tend to cross every couple of years... at least now I know to pay in advance!

What annoys me about the crap system is you cannot use the SANEF (who run the tunnel/bridge now) remote readers as you can on the French autoroutes! I have one on permanent account, and only charges when I use it, why not implement the same system.......just drive through, it reads the tag, your account gets debited at the end of the month....all done.

K'in useless bunch of morons over here!

What annoys me about the crap system is you cannot use the SANEF (who run the tunnel/bridge now) remote readers as you can on the French autoroutes! I have one on permanent account, and only charges when I use it, why not implement the same system.......just drive through, it reads the tag, your account gets debited at the end of the month....all done.

K'in useless bunch of morons over here!

Because there will be no scanner to read the remote receiver..... It reads number plates. Having said that the next question is why can't you register your car with your sanef account.....

K'in useless cheating moneygrabbing bunch of morons over here!

Corrected that for you :thumb:

BTB I believe from memory that they are not charging extra for trailers?

From a quick search you're quite right - previously you paid double the car rate. So that's a plus :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom