Dartford Crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntMB

Car
Mercedes E270 Estate and VW Golf
Should be simple.

How do I check if I need to pay? I can only find a 'check which ones you've paid for after you've paid' but I can't find out if I need to?

You need to pay unless you crossed when it is free .. late at night

Well if you crossed after 10 pm and before 6am it is free,I have a account with about £10 in it,I maybe use the crossing twice a year,it seemed to be the easy way,because I may well be going on holiday so paying before the time limit expires might be forgotten or impossible to do.

People who are disabled and driving a tax exempt car (not just the holder of a blue badge ), are entitled to free crossings.

I'm struggling with this as I'm not familiar with that area at all, all the website wants to do is take money from me, rather than telling me that I need to pay. I can't be sure of the times or how many crossings. The website is not at all helpful.

I don't think the website will tell you. If you haven't paid by midnight the day after you crossed you're already too late. If on the other hand you've paid in advance you can check how much credit you have left but I'm pretty sure it will not tell you how much yo

Last edited:
Should be simple.

How do I check if I need to pay? I can only find a 'check which ones you've paid for after you've paid' but I can't find out if I need to?

I know you said you can't be sure of times or how many crossings? But are these recent crossings?

I'm struggling with this as I'm not familiar with that area at all, all the website wants to do is take money from me, rather than telling me that I need to pay. I can't be sure of the times or how many crossings. The website is not at all helpful.
There is no way of checking on the website. The first you will know is a letter in the post however the letter gives you time to make the normal payment and avoid a fine. DO NOT pay it late as this does not go towards the crossing you have made and merely sits as a credit (this has happened to me!!!) So my advice would be to wait for the letter and then pay the £2.50.
Hope that makes sense??!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I went through some maps and made a guess at making one crossing over the bridge and one under the tunnel and made a payment the next day. Then checked online the next day to see that the payments were assigned to crossings and they are. It's still a bit sneaky that they won't divulge if there are unpaid crossings, but I can only have gone each way once at a time.

As a fairly regular user of the crossing (usually at night when no charge) i set up a pay as you go account. No money upfront and it sends you a confirmation of payment a few hours later. Set it up because i used the crossing at 21:59 and thinking i may get away with it (charges end at 22:00). i got a letter saying as its my first time I only need to pay the crossing charge but next time i will be fined. But as others have stated there is no way of checking (just like the congestion charge). Oh and if anyone from the continent using the crossing and thinks they don't have to pay, they sent a letter to my son in law in Hamburg saying pay up.

So you know longer have to throw a pound coint into the basket? Wow.

So you know longer have to throw a pound coint into the basket? Wow.

Yes the french company running the crossing,have moved things along a little since you last used it markjay,they had too the pollution from the all day traffic jam on the Kent side was starting to get noticed by those in power,and so we have no barriers so no stopping at toll booths,it seems to work well,to the point that more drivers are getting speeding tickets on the approach,which is a A road and has 60mph speed limits quiet some way from the tunnels,going down to 40 mph near the cameras detecting your number plate.
I said in a earlier post that,I have a account,which pays for my crossings,it stops all this do I have to pay how do I do it,and on top of that my crossings are only £1.67p,ok I no longer cross around 20 times a year,but for the couple of times going on holiday I now use it for,it is handy to have,no worry about paying.
Unlike the Seven crossing which is now free,Dartford has refused to adhere to their promises broken at least 3 times to make it's crossing free as well,I suppose we could not expect much else,still with the removal of barriers the crossing works quiet well.

Should be simple.

I use DARTSAVE. They tell you when you have crossed, then pay for you and then give you 14 days to pay them.
A no-brainer.

I have a Dart Charge account (free, and gets you lower rates e.g. £2.00 for cars rather than £2.50), and bung £10 in it every now and again. You get an automatic email reminder when the balance gets low. Works for me.

I use DARTSAVE. They tell you when you have crossed, then pay for you and then give you 14 days to pay them.
A no-brainer.

Except you pay 50p more per crossing than if you have a standard Dart Charge account.

I have a PAYG account as I only use the crossing 20 times per year(ish) They always correctly charge me for the crossing, but it costs £2.50 each way.
upload_2019-9-5_10-31-12.png

I too have a Dartcharge pay as you go account.

I only make about 5 or 6 crossings each year, so for me, the convenience of automatic payment from my credit card outweighs the 50p saving from a Dartcharge account and remembering to keep it topped up.

I too have a Dartcharge pay as you go account.

I only make about 5 or 6 crossings each year, so for me, the convenience of automatic payment from my credit card outweighs the 50p saving from a Dartcharge account and remembering to keep it topped up.

You can have the Dart Charge account topped up automatically from your credit card if you want. You specify the balance that triggers a top-up, and how much you want to pay in. I just do it manually though, if/when I get a low balance alert.

Capture.JPG

My problem is I cross occasionally in a hire van/car and can’t set up an account because I would end up paying for other people who have hired said vans/cars.
Is there an app that logs you and sends you a text reminder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom