Dartford Crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An old bikers' trick, was to stuff an oily rag behind the rear plate, with part of the rag 'accidentally' masking a couple of characters on the plate.
Or use your foot to cover it, on my 350LC escaping from rovers with blue lights on the top ( albeit nearly 40 years ago )

Obviously it's great that they removed the toll booths and barriers and use ANPR, but I do miss the little game of basketball with the £1 coin........

Reactions: 219
Obviously it's great that they removed the toll booths and barriers and use ANPR, but I do miss the little game of basketball with the £1 coin........

and getting behind a car that suddenly realises that they have to pay and that their wallet is in the boot!

Finally heard back from Dart Charge customer services today. The minimum top-up required to keep an account open is £10, paid either by phone or online. Alternatively you can close the account and request a refund of the balance, which is what I've done. Presumably the default is that the account is closed 90 days after telling you it's been made inactive, and they keep the balance.

and getting behind a car that suddenly realises that they have to pay and that their wallet is in the boot!
A bit like I did my first time on the Italian Autostrada ; I followed a number of other cars in front , and ended up in a lane that required a ‘telepass’ which my rental car didn’t have ; this incomprehensible voice came on the intercom and I could only reply ‘no comprende , no parks Italiano’ and shrugged my shoulders . By this time the queue behind were peeping their horns and I couldn’t go back . Up the barrier went and I was allowed on my way .

Got away with it that one time , and made sure to use the pay booths after that , where the operators all spoke perfect English .

Just to close this out, I did finally receive a refund cheque for my account balance.

Reactions: m80
A cheque. How last century 😁

That's what I thought. Funnily enough I just got one from South Western Railway as well ... can't remember when I last received a cheque. Or wrote one, come to that.

I received a cheque too, was the balance from an account that was closed, just wondering, how can I pay it into my account when we don't have an actual high street bank?

you can pay money/cheques into a bank account at the post office. we just received a cheque from scottish power who we havent been with for years???

I received a cheque too, was the balance from an account that was closed, just wondering, how can I pay it into my account when we don't have an actual high street bank?

Lloyds have a system which enables people to pay in cheques using a smartphone - I don't know about any other banks.
( I do like the fact that the spell checker does not like the word 'cheque').

Lloyds have a system which enables people to pay in cheques using a smartphone - I don't know about any other banks.
Barclays does too, I've used it a few times.

You mean to go into a branch of LLoyds?

It's an online process.

Or you could go into that Lloyds in Colchester where you go in the front and can go out the back way onto a different street.

It's an online process.

Or you could go into that Lloyds in Colchester where you go in the front and can go out the back way onto a different street.

Thanks.
Sounds like fun, might have a drive out just to experience that!

Hmm ... I will have to 'cheque' that out :D

It does actually sound pretty useful as our nearest branch was closed last year. Mrs BTB runs a dog training club and does still get cheques from time to time. I guess it's part of the phone app., which neither of us currently use.

On the Barclays app, when you click the pay in a cheque tab it turns on your camera, you take a picture of the cheque and job done. Money in account next day!

There is no need to go to the bank - The process is done entirely on a smartphone using the Lloyds banking App.
If I receive a cheque, then I open the App and select the option to pay in a cheque. The App turns on the camera to take a picture of the cheque and pays it into into my Lloyds account. This means that I can deposit a cheque as soon as the payer gives it to me.
According to ToeKnee (post 77 in this thread) Barclays offers the same facility, so I guess that most other banks will also offer it.

Unfortunately my bank doesn't offer this service and we don't have an actual branch in the village to go into, so I'll head off to my trusty PO, thanks anyways

Sorry for hijacking this thread :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom