DAS BOOT tonight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Tonight on FILM 4 9PM DAS BOOT the directors cut-- possibly the best submarine movie ever made--- electrifying stuff! I hope they keep the German dialogue with English subtitles lends it far more authenticity. It's a must see. :cool:

A great film and it doesn't matter how many times you've seen it before.

As an aside I went in the U-Boat U-995 on Kiel beach, it's very small inside.

Tonight on FILM 4 9PM DAS BOOT the directors cut-- possibly the best submarine movie ever made--- electrifying stuff! I hope they keep the German dialogue with English subtitles lends it far more authenticity. It's a must see. :cool:

Agree, my favourite sub film, but the problem with sub titles is, by the time you have read them you can miss half the action. Wouldn't mind seeing it with english dubbing for a change. Will have to record it

Tonight on FILM 4 9PM DAS BOOT the directors cut-- possibly the best submarine movie ever made--- electrifying stuff!

Ahem.

'possibly' ?

That word shouldn't be there.

I have it on DVD in my Comand, for watching when parked up - I've lost count of how many plays it's had.

Ahem.

'possibly' ?

That word shouldn't be there.

I qualified it because early on they made a terrible cheap DVD version dubbed into English which almost ruined it. I had watched the original episodes on TV and was very disappointed with the dubbed version . The sound track was redone for the directors cut I believe which I haven't seen yet hence my "possibly"

Great film.

This was the 1st DVD I bought, back when DVD players 1st came out around 98-99.

Sounds great in surround sound with sheared bolts flying around the room.

I've watched both the original subtitled and dubbed English versions, and the original is far better. You loose far to much atmosphere with dodgy dubbing.

Sounds great in surround sound with sheared bolts flying around the room.

Also an excellent demonstration of the benefits of 5.1 over Pro-Logic

Fantastic film..as others have said i remember watching the mini series as a kid, on a camp bed in my grandads lounge (was xmas and beds were a premium) i was "supposed" to be asleep....mesmerised me...captures every emotion those at war must have gone through...

Also watched it as a weekly series on the tv.The German actors' voices for me added to the drama and soon adapted to the subtitles. Loved every minute of it. Definitely going to record it.

Absolutely superb film and demonstrates just how terrifying being onboard a submarine in wartime regardless of your nationality can be, have to agree regarding it being better in the original German with English subtitles. Be warned though this film is over 4 hours long.

Last edited:
If a war film with subtitles floats your boat, you could also try Downfall, about Hitler's last days - also excellent.

Das Boot isn't a war film, it's a film about a group of men in a sub that happen to be in a war.

If that makes sense...

Das Boot isn't a war film, it's a film about a group of men in a sub that happen to be in a war.

If that makes sense...

It's a bit of a jolt watching it and you realise as a Brit you're rooting for the Germans.

Downfall is more voyeuristic in my view (that's not a negative criticism).

One of the other war fims I recommend is 'Conspiracy' with Kenneth Branagh. It's understated and shocking in a way that is completely different to other war movies.

A great film and it doesn't matter how many times you've seen it before.

As an aside I went in the U-Boat U-995 on Kiel beach, it's very small inside.

It`s a type VIIC, as was the one in the true Das Boot story.

For anybody interested, there are still 3 other genuine U Boats that can be inspected:-

U505, a type IX, undercover now in Chicago.
U534, a type IX40 raised from off Denmark a few years ago and floated to Birkenhead, but now removed in pieces to a new site on Mersyside.
U2540, a type XXI, renamed the Wilhelm Bauer, afloat in a Bremerhaven basin and well worth a visit. It was the latest design when WWII ended and has twin MB V12 diesels. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom