DAS6 PRO PLUS Dual Action Polisher £100 delivered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toobad

Car
GLC Sport X253
This looks like a stonking price for a decent DA. OK, it includes the Black Friday discount code BF15 but it was still working this morning so perhaps it will be valid until the end of the weekend.

IMHO this is the ideal DA to use on those extra-hard German clearcoats. The more powerful 880W motor maintains rotation even when you need to lean in hard for heavy paint correction. The usual PRO PLUS comes with a 15mm throw but with this particular variant it is only 12mm. Whilst you will cover real estate a little slower, it means you benefit from more rotations in a smaller area and this is ideal for dealing with very hard or badly damaged paint. You also get 5" and 6" backing plates thrown in.

This would make an excellent Christmas present for anybody wishing to dip their toe into the machine polishing waters. Even at the usual £117.65 delivered it still represents the best price around (unless somebody knows otherwise)

Perfectly Cleaned DAS6 PRO PLUS £100 delivered

Thanks Toobad, that's my Christmas present sorted.

The Black Friday discount code BF15 has now expired but AFAIK the code 10DISC will still knock 10% off your Cart total.

Considering the original 15mm throw DAS6 PRO PLUS is still being sold by Clean Your Car for £159.95 this is really a no-brainer if you are in the market for your first machine polisher. Dual action polishers are the safest tools for a novice to learn the art of machine polishing since their elliptical orbit reduces the potential to accidentally burn through the clearcoat. Just bear in mind nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool :doh:

Luckily it still let me have the Black Friday discount.

I've always wanted to have a go at machine polishing after seeing results on the net... to be honest I've only ever been a super resin polish man, I was always more interested in power/speed out of my Skylines. Now I'm in my E55 I'd love to try but I'm scared of damaging the paintwork. Is there a skill to it. Anyone point me in the direction of a video to get a idea?
Thanks
Lee

You want the Junkman2000 videos posted up on YouTube. He's American and takes 10 minutes to say something that should only take a minute but his channel contains the most comprehensive collection of instructional videos to be found anywhere. His "How To" for novice machine polishers is broken down into 5 separate videos so instructions are comprehensive to say the least. They currently sit at Nos. 14 -18 on his playlist:

Junkman's "Must Watch" video playlist

Just remember the first rule of machine polishing - you can't put back what you take off. Always start with the least abrasive solution and work towards the more aggressive polish/pad combinations until you have corrected your paint problem. Your E55 has probably been sprayed with PPG's CeramiClear scratch-resistant clearcoat. Being one of the hardest on the planet, it is extremely unlikely a dual action orbital polisher would be able to burn through it. Welcome to the world of OCD behaviour.
Trev.

Is there a skill to it.

Lee

Indeed there is a "skill to it". Anybody who says otherwise is dicing with your paintwork and your wallet. My first attempt saw me having to pay a professional to sort out the front wing on my wife' car (I practiced on hers first).

It takes a fraction of a second to go through the paint or to " burn" the paint. You need to understand all the variables like:

Pads to use & when.
Polish to use & when.
Temperature, too hot or too cold.
Amount of pressure to apply
How long to apply pressure

This is before we delve into your aptitude for destruction? If you have the eyesight of Stevie Wonder on a foggy day? You may find that you are marveling at your results, whist others just snigger.

Those who have the skill make it look incredibly easy. Those who do not can end up in tears.

You can get hold of an old panel from a beaker to practice on, before setting about your pride your pride and joy. Offering to sort out your 6ft + Cage Fighting, neighbours car, can lead to extended time in hospital.

I shall now sit back and wait the feast of replies that lay out how simple it is and you don't need anything other than a mug of tea and a sunny day ;ˆ)

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for the info, I'll have a watch, then watch again....:thumb:
Lee

You want the Junkman2000 videos posted up on YouTube. He's American and takes 10 minutes to say something that should only take a minute but his channel contains the most comprehensive collection of instructional videos to be found anywhere. His "How To" for novice machine polishers is broken down into 5 separate videos so instructions are comprehensive to say the least. They currently sit at Nos. 14 -18 on his playlist:

Junkman's "Must Watch" video playlist

Just remember the first rule of machine polishing - you can't put back what you take off. Always start with the least abrasive solution and work towards the more aggressive polish/pad combinations until you have corrected your paint problem. Your E55 has probably been sprayed with PPG's CeramiClear scratch-resistant clearcoat. Being one of the hardest on the planet, it is extremely unlikely a dual action orbital polisher would be able to burn through it. Welcome to the world of OCD behaviour.
Trev.

Bruce
You have just said everything I had going around in my head. I have a few old bonnets ,wings etc.... in one of my out buildings. Great idea!
It is quite scary for The untrained not wanting to do any damage as the car is, in my eyes in great condition, paint looks thick and glossy with no noticeable swirls or damage.
Is there a system in place to use normal elbow power rather than a MP ? I just don't know what order to apply stuff.
Wash
Polish
Seal
Obviously with a cuppa in between all:D

Indeed there is a "skill to it". Anybody who says otherwise is dicing with your paintwork and your wallet. My first attempt saw me having to pay a professional to sort out the front wing on my wife' car (I practiced on hers first).

It takes a fraction of a second to go through the paint or to " burn" the paint. You need to understand all the variables like:

Pads to use & when.
Polish to use & when.
Temperature, too hot or too cold.
Amount of pressure to apply
How long to apply pressure

This is before we delve into your aptitude for destruction? If you have the eyesight of Stevie Wonder on a foggy day? You may find that you are marveling at your results, whist others just snigger.

Those who have the skill make it look incredibly easy. Those who do not can end up in tears.

You can get hold of an old panel from a beaker to practice on, before setting about your pride your pride and joy. Offering to sort out your 6ft + Cage Fighting, neighbours car, can lead to extended time in hospital.

I shall now sit back and wait the feast of replies that lay out how simple it is and you don't need anything other than a mug of tea and a sunny day ;ˆ)

ˆ^ This is entirely dependent on what you are trying to remove/improve. You can go from a very fine compound to a rough compound and likewise with the pads.

I am no expert and now leave it to those who are. My paint guy tells me that (rather like golf) you let the tools do the work so do not push but rather lightly steer the machine. If unsure then start with with light compound and a light pad. When you get it how you want it, wax then seal it.

It is worth pricing up the cost of using a professional. My paint guy will charge by the panel and is not too expensive. It is actually a lot of work and you have to factor that in to their time and cost. This against you buying all the gear that you may use once and sell on if it all goes wrong.

I just hand polished a long branch scratch out my BMW using a cloth and some Wilko's Scratch remover polish £3 a tube. Job done. It took around 30 minutes and looks great. Except that now the adjoining panels need a buff up.

Last edited:
When you get it how you want it, wax then seal it.

Nooooo!!! It's seal THEN wax it or you will have your sealant just floating on a coating of wax which will do nothing for longevity.

Lee, there's a lot less paranoia involved if you own a light coloured car. Whites and light silvers are very good at hiding the swirls and light scratches that come from general day-to-day driving and washing. If you have some deep scratches you can attack these in isolation like Bruce suggests. So-called miracle scratch removers are just an auto-reducing coarser compound in a tube. If you run a fingernail over the scratch and you can detect an indent then that scratch has gone through the clearcoat and is there to stay, I'm afraid.

Removing the absolute minimum amount of clearcoat leaves sufficient meat on the bone to act as a safety net for future disasters that may require more aggressive correcting. Just removing those light swirls and micro-scratches will certainly crisp up the paint by giving the surface a higher reflectivity but the results is just not as impressive as they are with black or the darker greys.

You will need to clay the paint surface to remove all traces of stubborn contaminants like tar. If you try and polish this off with the D.A. it will produce an effect known as marring and comes about when the polish is not pure. I do this with a polymer rubber "clay" mitt as it is much faster and lasts far longer than the old school clay bar.

For a first attempt I'd use a Chemical Guys Hexlogic Quantum 5.5" white foam pad on the machine, the profile of this new pad design is more forgiving of novice abuse in so much as you are less likely to tear the foam or strip it from its backing pad. The white foam is for light polishing so you won't be able to harm your paint. As to the polish itself, I'd point you to Nanotech SST Super Gloss polish. It was developed for the boat industry so there are variant for both black and white hulls. It uses nanotechnology, is water-based for ease of use and glosses like nothing I've ever used before.

Super Gloss Polish for light paint

At this time of the year, I'd seal with Finish Kare FK1000P Hi-Temp Sealant. It is a beading demon, hard as nails, will last through the whole winter and is great for protecting your wheels from brake dust and corrosive road salt.

Wow Trev, you certainly know your stuff mate.
Many thanks for all the info....
Right let's do this......!

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom