Dash bulbs in an ML

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard W

Car
BMWs :-)
Hi Folks,

Anyone know how to get an ML instrument cluster out - the bulb between the speedo and rev counter has gone as have the trip and temp guage lights. :(

Thanks

R

I believe this is a job best left to the dealer as its footerie and you run the risk of cracking the dash clock lens when taking it out. You can get tools to do it , a bit like coathangers with hooks on the end of them , but , i think i would let someone else crack the dash clock.

Happened to me recently, in my case it was the bulb between the LHS of the speedo and the fuel gauge... I got George Fraser to fix it for me :)

Echo Fuzzer's comments too, because I'm sure I have a brand new, crystal clear, dash lens. I wasn't charged for it though ;) :rock:

S.

Good end to this one - the guy at Greenoaks showed me where the trim came out...... couple of screws and the whole binnacle came out - bulbs changed and back in...:D

The funny thing was he told me MB books 1 hour for the job (£80+VAT) - even with my limited skills it was only 35 minutes..........

R

Originally posted by Richard W
The funny thing was he told me MB books 1 hour for the job (£80+VAT) - even with my limited skills it was only 35 minutes..........

R

Indeed they do :(

Originally posted by Richard W
Good end to this one - the guy at Greenoaks showed me where the trim came out...... couple of screws and the whole binnacle came out - bulbs changed and back in...:D

R

I wouldnt mind knowing which bit of trim & where the scews are for future reference.

would you able to oblige? ....

cheers

:)

Steve,

Put your hands through the top of the wheel, palms upwards, rest your finger nails against the instrument glass(plastic?) and the black trim will just pull slightly down and towards you. This will release the top of the trim.

Then go to the bottom of the display (make sure the wheel is at the bottom of it's travel) and take off the two trim pieces either side of the wheel(headlight height and folding mirrors).

The next piece is the one where the steering column meets the binnacle (you'll know when you do that) Then the black surround just slides down(clips eithewr side of th column).

That will give you the two plastic screws at the top (just retainers) and the important ones are either side (6/7mm screw driver socket - can't remember without taking it apart again)

Then it's just a swivel to get to the multi pin plug and it's out.

If I can do it then someone with your ability won't have any trouble!

HTH

R

P.S. sorry 'bout the spelling - trying to wind small one - he came home yesterday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom