Dash Cam £50-£100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I'm tempted by a dash cam in the £50-£100 range. Might be tempted to spend a bit more if justified.

Most reviews are either old, US only or too expensive.
The choice is vast and most brands I've never heard of, so can anyone recommend one to me? I'd ideally want one small enough to mount behind the review mirror, but not sure if that's feasible or not.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm tempted by a dash cam in the £50-£100 range. Might be tempted to spend a bit more if justified.

The choice is vast and most brands I've never heard of, so can anyone recommend one to me? I'd ideally want one small enough to mount behind the review mirror, but not sure if that's feasible or not.

Cheers.
Why do you want a dash cam ?

I've been Interested in one for a bit due to the mileage of my commute to work, seems a mine field as what best to get.

I had a nextbase 312 gw fitted by Halfords 2 weeks ago, very pleased with it up to now. It cost me about £140 full fitted, nice and easy to use and has good features.
It fits nicely behind the rear view mirror with no wirers showing and dose not distract you when driving.
Hope this helps !

I had a nextbase 312 gw fitted by Halfords 2 weeks ago, very pleased with it up to now. It cost me about £140 full fitted, nice and easy to use and has good features.
It fits nicely behind the rear view mirror with no wirers showing and dose not distract you when driving.
Hope this helps !

Do they plug it into a 12v socket or wire it in permanently?

I've been Interested in one for a bit due to the mileage of my commute to work, seems a mine field as what best to get.
The mine field starts when you are involved in an accident and your dashcam is seized and EVERYTHING on it is analysed, not just the 10 seconds before the collision in question, but your recorded 'driving style' hours..even days before the event. If you drive 100% within the law 100% of the time then a dashcam is for you....if not. 'Buyer beware'

They hard wire it in no wirers showing cost £30 to fit, or you can plug into 12v socket, its a good neat job for £30

The mine field starts when you are involved in an accident and your dashcam is seized and EVERYTHING on it is analysed, not just the 10 seconds before the collision in question, but your recorded 'driving style' hours..even days before the event. If you drive 100% within the law 100% of the time then a dashcam is for you....if not. 'Buyer beware'

I don't think you need to worry unless your flying around at 100 mph and weaving in and out of traffic, and if you are that's why we need a dascam. :rolleyes:

I've been using a Transcend (200?) for almost 2 years. It's not hard wired which makes it easier to remove if you park somewhere unfamiliar and need to unplug it. The picture is really good and it'll take whatever size memory card you want to use - I just use the standard 8 or 16 it came with so it doesn't show too much before.

I bought the separate but a lot smaller sucker mount so it fits in such a position that it wan't distract me from seeing it and the rear view mirror hides it out of my sight.

I have nextbase duo which does front and back recording; more than happy with it; easy to hardwire in so that as soon as you turn ignition on it starts to record and as soon as you turn off ignition it turns off a minute later.. you have various options as well like G sensor so if anyone hits car whilst its parked it starts to record. make sure you use reputable/branded micro sd card as having used cheap cards you get various recording issues. this may be out of your budget as I think you can get refurbished ones from around £140... another option is the many small hero type based clones... I have one in my other car and this was £25 and has wifi for direct links to iPhone/ android phone... again picture is very good; with this I have to manually turn/ off on but tend to leave this running nearly all the time as I'm driving the car nearly everyday and as such no adverse battery drain

I ordered a Vantrue N1 off Amazon as a result of TechMoans excellent reviews.

It was loads better quality than the SJ cam I had earlier.

After having a hit and run when at traffic lights am going to get one for the rear as well.

For the outlay they are so worth the money when it comes to disputing an accident.

I also got hit by a Lorry on M6 when stationary, it took a nearly two years to sort out, with a camera it would have been a few months.

They will probably become mandatory soon, it's not like the technology isn't there, it would save millions in Insurance disputes' and theoretically :) reduce our insurance premiums.

Cheers.

We are one of the only independent Nextbase resellers and I can offer you the 112, 312 or 412 professionally and discreetly installed. email me for pricing [email protected]

I don't think you need to worry unless your flying around at 100 mph and weaving in and out of traffic, and if you are that's why we need a dascam. :rolleyes:
You are missing my point. IF you drive like a saint within the law 100% of the time then by all means fit 6 cameras to your car and download your tracker information live to the police and your insurance company, who knows you might get an insurance discount and a medal from the police force.

but IF (God forbid) one day you stray just a few miles an hour over the speed limit and at that moment something bad happens the footage from your camera(s) will be judge , jury and executioner.

Who knows , in this day and age you might even get sued for filming someone without their permission...stranger things have happened.

I realise I am in a minority here but its my 2 pence worth.

Happy motoring.

Dash cam

I don't think you need worry too much. Police action must be proportionate, thus if you were to kill somebody with your car your camera would be seized however if you were to be stopped for a minor offence then it would be disproportionate to seize the camera.

Last edited:
Have a look at the GoLuk cameras.

My daughter has one fitted to her 2 series behind the RVM and it cannot be seen by her when driving.

Image quality is great

I have an Eprance in the B class which we have had for over three years. It is still in full working order and going strong.

Yesterday I've bought at Currys Nextbase 402G (there is still clearance offer in some stores) for £68 which seemed like a good deal, but after coming home, opening the box and inspecting the camera it was clear that it was not new but refurbished one which was really odd for such reputable electronics store!?
eek.gif
If you find it in your near store open the box then and there and look for screwdriver marks on the sides of the camera.
However, I've returned it for a refund and today I've ordered Oncam T810 on Aliexpress for £37:
Original 4.0 Inch IPS Screen Car DVR Novatek NTK96658 Car Camera T810 Oncam Dash Camera Full HD 1080P Video 170 Degree Dash Cam-in Car DVRs from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

By the number of sales, feedback, current discount of 40% and number of Russian youtube videos looks like a good piece of kit for no money. The only downside is transit time of 20-40 days but I'm in no rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom