Dash cam suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NDFR

SUPPORTER
Car
C320 CDI
Hello, I have had a dash cam for about 10 years and had several over that period. Time is approaching for me to replace my DDPAI which in all honesty has disappointed, dowloading video has proved very difficult so I'm after suggestions for a replacement.

I need it to be wifi enabled so that I can download to my phone to view video.

Other than that I'm interested to have an associated program that is easy to use on my macbook if I wish to view there.

Maximum price would be something like £250 but I would prefer less.

Over to you guys for suggestions and thanks for your input.

The common recommendation for the best high res is the viofo A129PRO - amazing 4K footage, buffered park mode etc.

Seems to fit your budget.

How about the Garmin 66W. Its not 4k but 1440HD thats quite adequate for a dash cam and costs about £160. It has parking mode, voice activated, can view videos on its screen and can save videos to your phone via WiFi using the GarminDrive App. The best thing I like about it is its small discreet size.

Yep that one looks great to me. I personally think the 180 degree angle might be a bit TOO fish-eye, and the 56 might be a better (and cheaper) option.

I've read things about it being really, really hot/overheating, but I do like the tiny size. I am too superficial to put up some of the most commonly recommended cams as they are just too ugly - I want it to look as OEM as possible.

If it had more cloud-based options, I'd definitely consider it. I'm mainly prioritising parking-mode features, personally.

Yep that one looks great to me. I personally think the 180 degree angle might be a bit TOO fish-eye, and the 56 might be a better (and cheaper) option.

I've read things about it being really, really hot/overheating, but I do like the tiny size. I am too superficial to put up some of the most commonly recommended cams as they are just too ugly - I want it to look as OEM as possible.

If it had more cloud-based options, I'd definitely consider it. I'm mainly prioritising parking-mode features, personally.
I've got the Garmin 56 and it's spot on. Parking made cable is required as an additional extra in order for it to work. The voice command is brilliant too if you want to save a video quickly.

A little over budget but I have the Blackview DR900S front and rear cams. Excellent quality, you can connect by direct wifi or via BlackVue Cloud and you can sent any sort of event to automatically upload the clip to the cloud so it's saved. I had it fitted in conjunction with the BlackVue Power Magic box, so it stays on for a bit once you leave the car. It's already saved me when someone backed into me and drove away while I was parked, caught them dead to rights :)

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming...

I had a Nextbase 300w fitted recently. Bought the camera for £55 on offer at Costco, then had it professionally fitted for £40.
The camera is a compact unit and for the low price, the picture quality is good.
Used AutoWhizz in Rochdale, who has fitted others for family, always a good neat job and will supply units at a reasonable price.

i recently won a pioneer one which i am going to fit in the new year,but it has its own app and wifi and looks very compact i think it costs about £170

A little over budget but I have the Blackview DR900S front and rear cams. Excellent quality, you can connect by direct wifi or via BlackVue Cloud and you can sent any sort of event to automatically upload the clip to the cloud so it's saved. I had it fitted in conjunction with the BlackVue Power Magic box, so it stays on for a bit once you leave the car. It's already saved me when someone backed into me and drove away while I was parked, caught them dead to rights :)

I'm looking for the new DR900X (really not that different to the S) as the blackvue seem to have the best cloud functionality (well, other than the thinkware u1000 but that thing is so big and ugly I really don't want it in my car taking up so much space!) and have a couple of questions on how they work, if that's okay:

1) On amazon, there are different versions, 16GB-128GB. Is this just the size of the included memory card? Because the price difference is insane, and way more than the price difference of buying a separate memory card. Unless the memory is 'built in'? I can't believe it would be - I can see pics of a microSD on the blackvue page, but I can't see a slot for the memory card in the pictures I've seen of it.

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 01.45.26.png

I notice the same with the U1000 on amazon, the 64GB version is £465, but the 32GB is £339.

Can you simply get the cheapest 32GB and then buy your own memory card?

2) Do you know if you can do it bit by bit? e.g. can you get one cam at the front, then buy the back one, then buy the power magic box, in order to stagger the cost? It's looking almost like £750-900 for the whole shebang in one go. Your car is considerably more valuable than mine, so it makes more sense for that kind of outlay for your car!

Anyway, sorry to hijack (I actually think the Garmin is the one that the OP should go for!!)

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
I've got the Garmin 56 and it's spot on. Parking made cable is required as an additional extra in order for it to work. The voice command is brilliant too if you want to save a video quickly.

Looks great - do you have the hardware kit? How long does the recording last with that?

How does buffered parking mode work?

I have a Viofo A119 and can’t fault it. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again and might upgrade to the A129.
The video quality is outstanding and although the brand sounds like any other unknown Chinese brand, are really well rated in the dashcam community.

I'm looking for the new DR900X (really not that different to the S) as the blackvue seem to have the best cloud functionality (well, other than the thinkware u1000 but that thing is so big and ugly I really don't want it in my car taking up so much space!) and have a couple of questions on how they work, if that's okay:

1) On amazon, there are different versions, 16GB-128GB. Is this just the size of the included memory card? Because the price difference is insane, and way more than the price difference of buying a separate memory card. Unless the memory is 'built in'? I can't believe it would be - I can see pics of a microSD on the blackvue page, but I can't see a slot for the memory card in the pictures I've seen of it.

View attachment 106152

I notice the same with the U1000 on amazon, the 64GB version is £465, but the 32GB is £339.

2) Do you know if you can do it bit by bit? e.g. can you get one cam at the front, then buy the back one, then buy the power magic box, in order to stagger the cost? It's looking almost like £750-900 for the whole shebang in one go. Your car is considerably more valuable than mine, so it makes more sense for that kind of outlay for your car!

Anyway, sorry to hijack (I actually think the Garmin is the one that the OP should go for!!)

Cheers!

Ed

As far as I'm aware it IS just the cost of the SD card, the memory is not built-in. It does need to be a high performing SD card though, none of your cheap rubbish.

Mine cost me about £450 fitted, with the 32Gb card and with the Power Magic box. I've since upgraded the SD card.

View attachment 106152

Cheers!

Ed
😱 For that price level it should come with two outdoor, two indoor (all with clear night vision), a proper DVR with 2TB memory, life cloud subscription and app for a phone.
Insane price imho for a dash cam with or without SD card.

😱 For that price level it should come with two outdoor, two indoor (all with clear night vision), a proper DVR with 2TB memory, life cloud subscription and app for a phone.
Insane price imho for a dash cam with or without SD card.

It only takes one incident, like the one I had, to make it worth every penny :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom