Dash cam while parked in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsimond

Car
Mercedes-Benz
Hi all.
I’m using a Thinkware dash cam hardwired for running 24/7 while parked. I don’t to flatten the car battery and it drains pretty quickly in the cold. But I have not installed an external battery because it will cost me £170.

So I’m trying out battery protection on Thinkware Cloud app. Battery protection has been enabled and voltage set to 12.2V. Looked it up and found that winter battery protection will power the dash cam off 0.02 volts above 12.2V. Have seen reviews about some dash cams not powering off even at low voltage settings. So this might help prevent such situations.

Does anybody have experience running dash cams 24/7 in winter conditions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_26012021-29343.png
    Screenshot_26012021-29343.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 9
It’ll be running on one of the parking modes, so shock detection, motion detection, radar detection if he has the optional u1000 radar module, etc

OP I’m afraid I don’t know much about this as I haven’t bought mine yet, but it would be a good idea to make sure it doesn’t go under 12v. It really depends on how often you drive the car - will it be used everyday or will it be standing for a long time?

I have a Blackvue set up in my car running 24/7 parked monitoring and have never had any issues with battery power to start the car etc. I do have a battery pack fitted with the camera which might explain why I haven‘t experienced any issues but it’s all good so far :thumb:

It's recording 24/7 ?
Right now it's recording 24/7 but I might try energy saving mode later on to put the dash cam in sleep mode to save power consumption.

It’ll be running on one of the parking modes, so shock detection, motion detection, radar detection if he has the optional u1000 radar module, etc

OP I’m afraid I don’t know much about this as I haven’t bought mine yet, but it would be a good idea to make sure it doesn’t go under 12v. It really depends on how often you drive the car - will it be used everyday or will it be standing for a long time?
In motion detection mode. Thanks for the advice - I have it set to 12.2V and it is still going good.

I have a Blackvue set up in my car running 24/7 parked monitoring and have never had any issues with battery power to start the car etc. I do have a battery pack fitted with the camera which might explain why I haven‘t experienced any issues but it’s all good so far :thumb:
Great to hear :thumb: How much did your batter pack cost?

So is it recording 24/7 or in motion detection? Motion detection should help preserve the battery big time

So is it recording 24/7 or in motion detection? Motion detection should help preserve the battery big time
Sorry for confusion. It's running 24/7 but parking mode is set to motion detection.
So the dash cam is always on to monitor any movements but only records when motion or impact is detected.

Looked it up and found that winter battery protection will power the dash cam off 0.02 volts above 12.2V.
Correction - winter battery protection powers the dash cam off 0.2 volts above 12.2V

In any case, it sounds like there should be no issue with it running your battery flat, but you’ll obviously eventually need a battery pack for longer record times before it shuts down, and hopefully nothing happens in that time.

At least you can add the battery park later and don’t need to fork out all in one go. Are you using a U1000? If so, how do you like it?

I am running a Thinkware 770 and have set the battery protection at 12.3v, the highest setting and haven’t had any issues . It has motion detection set to on.

In any case, it sounds like there should be no issue with it running your battery flat, but you’ll obviously eventually need a battery pack for longer record times before it shuts down, and hopefully nothing happens in that time.

At least you can add the battery park later and don’t need to fork out all in one go. Are you using a U1000? If so, how do you like it?
No issues with running battery flat. Been using energy saving mode for longer record times. It goes to sleep and will record when there is impact.
I might consider adding on Thinkware ivolt battery but I'm satisfied with current settings for now.

Thinkware U1000 works like a treat. It's one of the most power efficient cams.
I went for U1000 also because it has the option to select 4K 30fps or 2K 60fps and both front and rear cameras have Sony Starvis image sensors.
Blackvue only records in 4K 30fps and front cam uses Omnivision sensor.

£450 fully installed with the set:

Speak to Nick, he knows what he is doing and is Essex based :thumb:
Thanks for the recommendation!

I am running a Thinkware 770 and have set the battery protection at 12.3v, the highest setting and haven’t had any issues . It has motion detection set to on.
Great to see another Thinkware user :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom