Dash cams & insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr slow

Car
C200 sport premium
Anybody managed to get reduced premiums for having a dash cam fitted? Thinking of installing one, but not if its a waste of time insurance wise.

Why bother, you'll only crash in to uninsured Sheep up there...;)

I've got a dashcam (front and rear) but don't try and get a discount from my insurer. If I had a bump and for some reason it wasn't working, they might use that as grounds to decline a claim.

Same as your home insurance. Is it really worth a £20 discount a year to declare an intruder alarm, only to risk getting a claim turned down if you got broken into and you don't set it for whatever reason.

like the comment not to many cars on Orkney I would have thought, but a good question thought about it undecided myself asked about tracker no discount there so is it really worth it?

Do you really need a dashcam there.. :p

I had the pleasure of driving up there, fantastic.

Hmmmm

Ok, some unsurprisingly cynical views on insurance companies (that, on balance, I agree with). And, true we don't have much traffic here :bannana: however I come down to Aberdeen and the central belt fairly frequently and you see some priceless examples of mans lack of consideration for others there. :D. I think I will fit one and keep the fact to myself.

Thanks for your comments.

A lot of uninformed subjective opinion floating around on this one.

Fact....... I use my car for my business with high mileage. A single forward facing £14 dashcam gets me a 10% discount on an already best value £350 policy with Axa.

Plus it could save me chew in the future.

So in answer to the op , depending on circumstances, yes, depending on circumstances.

I think the best advise was not to tell insurance, the saving of 20 quid a year or whatever seems pointless anyway if something was to go wrong.

I have a mini 0806 dash cam which is great, but I dont have it wired on my recently purchased cl55, not sure will the gps work with the thick windows anyway.

Do sheep have insurance,about all you can have a accident with up there.

Do sheep have insurance,about all you can have a accident with up there.

Well, sheep are renowned for spending their lives looking for new ways to die! Friend of mine trashed his old banger on a wayward cow, which pretty much walked away, farmers insurance coughed for the damage though so....

The joys of rural life:D

If you do get a discount make sure you read any endorsement that you get as a result.
If you have a burglar alarm I would suggest not telling your insurers unless an alarm is required. If you do you will generally have your policy endorsed that the alarm is always operational when the house is vacant. Do you really want this?

Did you read the post by FTW?

yes. why ?

The thing is:

Extraordinary or unexpected failure of a correctly installed component or device does not constitute an invalidation of the insurance unless a lack of maintenance can be shown. That's cars and houses. That ridiculous not working argument is like saying if you have a tyre failure causing a collision you are automatically uninsured.

Did you not think to check up before commenting ? fortunately I did :bannana:

Plus of course the evidence dash cams can and do present is worth paying £20 or so for let alone saving it.

soo as I said .........

:fail

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom