Dash Cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanMuller

Car
C32 AMG
Hi all,

Looking for a decent dash cam but don't really want to spend much more than a £100.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Ry

I got a nextbase from Halford.
Cam SD card and hard wired in cost me £130

Cheers Ben :thumb:

I've seen it really small discrete one I might get instead and put this one in my wife's fiesta ;)

Have a look at the Novatek A118/B40. Around £40, very neat, fixed direct to the screen (not on a suction cup and bracket), and all wires hidden. Had mine around two years now, excellent IMHO!

I beat Ben to it, I previously had a suction cup mounted one, which is now in my wife's Skoda.......

Last edited:
I've got two. An Eprance with a memory card for the B Class, and a Transcend Drivepro 200 for the CLS.

The Drivepro, card and mount cost me £108 while the Eprance and card cost me around £50.

The Drivepro does have more features, such as transfer over wifi, and a wider viewing angle, but the Eprance offers basic footage which is more than acceptable for half the price.

If you want no frills footage, check out the Eprance on Amazon. For the money, I was disappointed in the Drivepro because I expected it to be so much better than the Eprance, and it wasn't in my estimation.

IMO a dashcam should be small and discrete, with that in mind I recommend either a Mobius or a JooVuu X. I have a Mobius in my ML for about 2 years now and it has worked flawlessly, I am about to install a JooVuu X in my SL.

I think there are two arguments for the size of a dash cam, as although small ones are very discreet, sometimes you want them to be seen. By that I'm mean by the insurance scammer who's looking for a victim to brake hard in front of. If he sees your dash cam, or maybe a recording light, he'll pick a different victim!

I think there are two arguments for the size of a dash cam, as although small ones are very discreet, sometimes you want them to be seen. By that I'm mean by the insurance scammer who's looking for a victim to brake hard in front of. If he sees your dash cam, or maybe a recording light, he'll pick a different victim!

The flip side though is that a non discrete camera is a target for thieves, and in the event of an incident makes you and your car a target for any potentially volatile situation. I have had larger camera's with small lcd screens but after extensive testing opted for the Mobius and JooVuu.

I have had a Livue for a couple of years. I didn't go for a GPS model in case my speed was used against me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Another thing to consider is whether the camera has a battery or capacitor, the capacitor is recommended over a battery in a dashcam to avoid issues with ambient heat in the car. My experiance with having a battery in the Mobius has been good with no issues but the camera is off when the car is off. With my SJCam M10 action camera, has a dashcam mode, the battery ballooned after extensive dashcam use and required a lot of brute force to remove it from the camera. Luckily the camera wasn't damaged. This needs to be considered if you want to use a parking mode.

I've got a BlackVue in mine and my wife's mini.

Mine is wifi and cloud based but no issues with either and very easy to install in my W207.

IMO a dashcam should be small and discrete, with that in mind I recommend either a Mobius or a JooVuu X. I have a Mobius in my ML for about 2 years now and it has worked flawlessly, I am about to install a JooVuu X in my SL.

With you there, had a Mobius in the CLS, so tucked up and out of the way the techs servicing it didn't notice :)

However, having had one Mobius die and another turn up DOA I went for the JooVuu for the wife's car, very similar but much better made, just have to be careful with the firmware/settings.

Thought I got a bargain paying £50 on Amazon for that one, usually £80, but they dropped to £45 the other day so treated myself to one. Comes with both battery and capacitor but not the GPS which I'm not interested in anyway. They lower the price through 'special offers' rather than the price so the drops don't trigger the camel, just have to keep you eyes open.

I had a transcend drive pro in my W211. It worked well but the WiFi feature was a waste of time. In the end I just removed the card instead of down loading them.

The size was on the large size, I installed in a bespoke way so was not an issue. Overall it was good, worked well and was cheap.

I have a nextbase 212. I chose this because it comes with a powered mount so removing from screen after parking etc is a doddle, no wires to unplug. It also has no GPS which in my view is a bonus.......officer:D

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-212

love the halfords nextbase ad, with the cam below the mirror obscuring the view, officer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom