Dash lights, gauges and indicators control have died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil55

Car
E320 CDI
Hi, I'm a new member with a clean E320 CDI (2004) that - until yesterday - has not caused me any serious problems. Yesterday, when I started the car it (as usual) started first time and sounds great but I noticed the speedometer and tachometer were dead: no lights and needles not moving. Heaters, windows, central locking all working. Can anyone suggest what is causing this problem?

This can be caused by a low battery. Fully charge the battery and go for a drive (if poss).

This can be caused by a low battery. Fully charge the battery and go for a drive (if poss).
Thanks for the reply but I had a brand new battery installed about a week ago because the old battery wasn't holding a charge for more than 2/3 days. Could the problem be caused by a blown fuse or loose cable? I'm not mechanically minded so I'm just guessing

Thanks for the reply but I had a brand new battery installed about a week ago because the old battery wasn't holding a charge for more than 2/3 days. Could the problem be caused by a blown fuse or loose cable? I'm not mechanically minded so I'm just guessing
In that case, I would get the car on a diagnostic scanner to see if there are any error codes. Have a look at this thread too as it may help. If the instrument cluster has failed, there are options around repair, replacement etc .

Had something very similar with my S204 a while back, took it to a local indie who has the full STAR/Xentry system, he swiftly found that for some unknown reason the dashboard had lost its programming, he re-programmed the dash and (touch wood) all has been well since. Gave me a nice discount for paying cash too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom