Dash lights on 190D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Highfiddleedee

Car
1991 300TD, 1989 300TE, 1988 190D 2.5 Auto, 1965 Land Rover Series 3 SWBVer
I have a recently bought 190D which has no illumination on the dash, or gear selector when the headlights are switched on. I have checked all the fuses that I think it might be, and they seem fine. Anyone any advice for systematically tracing the fault, or history of trouble in this area?

Have you checked that the dimming knob is turned the right way? :eek: It may be the rheostat if everything else checks out.

What dimming knob! My first car was a 1968 Mini and it had a dimming knob for "Continental Travelling"! I'll have a look - whereabouts might I find it?

Right, it doesn't work to reset the trip mileage, I wonder does therein lie the problem! Also, there is a strange little display only about 2 inches long which I haven't quite figured out yet!

Thanks, I'm in work at the moment, I'll try that when I get home.

I'm told the trip should only be reset when the car is NOT moving.

Thanks again jaymanek, and all, I twiddled the knob and hey presto, we've got lights :D.

Not the first time someone has posted this question ;)

yoda-rtfm.jpg

You are correct in saying the trip should not be reset when the car is moving as it just does not work anymore.

My 190E had a non working trip and the garage said somebody has tried to reset it whilst the car was moving it should think it must strip a gear

I don't think the gears turn fast enough for that to happen. You may break one - though having repaired mine it seems the mechanism falls apart and can be put back together again.

Thanks Stats007 for your contribution, however, as the car is new to me and 20 years old, I don't have any manual to go on! Secondly, I did several searches but couldn't find what I was looking for. As a new member, I am still learning where to look for stuff. That said, the forum is brilliant, and I am getting lots out of it - thanks to all who take the time to post replies.

HFDD,

Try this site it's the factory parts lists with pictograms maintained by the
MB club of Russia.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.asp?TP=1&F=201128&VIN=

It will have up to 9 of '88
And from 9 of '88

You will notice # 41 is your dash reostat (they call it an potentiometer)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Jun. 30 02.41.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Jun. 30 02.41.gif
    41.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thanks Stats007 for your contribution, however, as the car is new to me and 20 years old, I don't have any manual to go on! Secondly, I did several searches but couldn't find what I was looking for. As a new member, I am still learning where to look for stuff. That said, the forum is brilliant, and I am getting lots out of it - thanks to all who take the time to post replies.

Is your W124 not the same?

Similar but not the same. I have the American E Class Bible, and Haynes for the W124. Some stuff checks out and some doesn't. Anyway, I've just bought one on eBay so that should keep me right.

You can download the W201 Workshop Manual from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom