Dashboard etc Dead, HELP!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
The S204 has thrown a wobbly on me. Car had a good run on Sunday but has not been used since. Looked at the battery condition monitor when I went to the car for the supermarket run, light was amber rather than green but car started OK - except none of the 4 dashboard guages worked (fuel level, temp, speedo and tacho). Headed off and found no indicators, no hazards, auto lock at about 10mph not happening (although switches in drivers door work), also found electric boot release button in drivers door does not work although tailgate opens from the button on the key fob and closes on the tailgate button. 7 miles each way to the supermarket, not sure if the dash illumination (round the dials) was working on the way there but was on the drive home. Checked the condition monitor once home, green light now, but just in case I've put the smart battery charger on, once the battery is fully charge it will switch itself off.

So, after battery voltage too low, next thought is a blown fuse - but which one and where is it? I don't even know where the fuses are, I suspect there's a few in the storage cubbies either side of the boot but have no idea. Is this something I can check - I have spare blade fuses knocking around somewhere - or do I need a mobile auto electrician who knows his way round an MB S204?

TIA for helping!!

Last night was the first cold night in our area this autumn. Any low voltage batteries are going to be found out.
Hopefully a good charge will rejuvenate the battery, otherwise you could be looking at a replacement.

The battery is only a few months old - very much doubt it's the problem as my condition monitor would have shown red rather than amber (leaving the house) or green (when we got home). I'm certain my smart charger will charge it back to 100%, it varies the charge rate dependant on the state of charge, slows right down for the last 10% then switches off, so by morning it will have the battery at 100%. TBH I only put the charger on the car as it's something I could do immediately and get one possible culprit sorted - but my suspicion is that somehow, while parked between Sunday afternoon and this afternoon, something has blown a fuse.

Ok, so I’ve been working on my S205 today and on mine there is a fuse box under the bonnet, in the front passenger footwell and in the boot if it’s of any help. Good luck.

Even more confused now. Decided to check the car before heading for bed, found the dashboard illumination lights were on and a small red light flashing - I think ESP off. Battery charger was still charging but flashing the light for the last 10% at very slow charge. Opened car, no mileage or trip meter showing, puddle lights, interior lights working, key in and headlights came on (I have them set to on with ignition), started car, still no mileage/trip, tacho, fuel gauge readings! Switched off and locked the car, dash illumination stayed on! Brain fried, see what tomorrow brings!

RESULT!!

Arrow Maintenance plugged the car into their Star/Xentry machine and found the dashboard and SAM had lost programming - and needed an update as well. Re-programmed and updated it, all now working properly and car back on our driveway. Good discount for paying in cash, all told (including taxi home this morning) just under £100!!

Big thumbs up for Arrow Maintenance Ashford (Kent):banana::banana::banana::D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom