Dashboard fuel display and actual figures are vastly different

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Michaels

Car
2008 C-Class 180 SE Kompressor 1.8 Saloon
Hallo I am Peter Could someone explain please what is going on.
I drive a 2008 180 SE Auto Kompressor

The dashboard display on which the mpg numbers constantly go up and down, never goes below 35 40 mpg and sometimes go up to even 70 to 90mpg

Pressing the steering wheel button going to the next display, the mpg figure normally stays at 28 mpg and only rarely goes to 25 but normally slowly rises up to 31 mpg driving in town.

My actual fuel consumption after several tests driving in town is an average 23mpg but never higher to match the above displays.
31mpg on a run and steady 60mph. In wintertime it goes down
to 14mpg but the mpg figures on the display show much higher?

Is there something wrong with the sensors maybe? If these displays are supposed to be real or the always wrong display is normal, then i wonder why Mercedes even bothered? It is so useless?

Yesterday i had the car checked for any air leaks eg with Mercedes and its all ok.
I also added a new thermostat but no difference in fuel consumption

Many thanks
Peter

Last edited:
the mpg figure normally stays at 28 mpg and only rarely goes to 25 but normally slowly rises up to 31 mpg driving in town.

My actual fuel consumption after several tests driving in town is an average 23mpg but never higher to match the above displays.
31mpg on a run and steady 60mph. In wintertime it goes down
to 14mpg but the mpg figures on the display show much higher?

Hi Peter,

The trip computer is always optimistic. Completely normal. Nothing to worry about :)

Abs

Totally rediculous and misleading. I thought a company like mercedes would be able to configure this properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom