Dashboard Warning Messages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregM

I have an "Engine Fan - Visit Workshop" message appear this morning and as best I can tell it is spurious, the fan comes on as expected and seems to stay on (I ran it for half an hour) with no problems.

What I would like to do is reset the message and see if it recurs before I do anything about it as all seems well.

Is it possible for a 'user' to reset the message or does a workshop have to do it with a special doodad?

Or could the message mean something else entirely to what I expected?

if you restart the car this will tell you if there is a current issue... normally those messages will clear themselves upon startup if the fault has gone..

I ignored a similar message saying Check Coolant - Visit Workshop for a while. It turned out to be an intermitent fault with the viscous fan which nearly caused the car to overheat.

Be cautious if anyone tells you to ignore the message - The car knows best (apparantly).

David

I ignored a similar message saying Check Coolant - Visit Workshop for a while. It turned out to be an intermitent fault with the viscous fan which nearly caused the car to overheat.

Be cautious if anyone tells you to ignore the message - The car knows best (apparantly).

David

This is OK , but only up to a point, with many modern cars they can throw up the odd fault code or display.

What Jay was saying and I also go along with that is that you sometimes have to ignore the odd message, if one did not do this, some of the cars would be in the garage with engineers scratching their heads and we would waste a lot of money.

Lets put it this way, you had a warning come up saying that your car was, or Had got too warm. Now MB went to the trouble of fitting a temperature gauge, so why not keep your eyes on this for a bit, to make or be sure that all is well, when you are sitting at the traffic lights its something to watch

The 210 does suffer in same ways the same as the 202 in that the control box can get water in it.

There is a problem with the diesel ECU control fan , does it mean this one, though the mod is to remove that one

David

If you ignore a message saying check coolant, whose fault is that?
Just open the cap and check it

If you ignore a message saying check coolant, whose fault is that?
Just open the cap and check it

Tis what I did, although as it was a couple of weeks after I had bought it was surprising. What did surprise me was when I spoke to dealers they all said that it just needed topping up. They were very good at sorting it out when it became obvious that there was a fault though.

David

Sorry about this there are diesel or petrol
Petrol, sorry.

The message did reset itself and has not recurred today despite sitting a big traffic queue so I think I might take the 'watch and see' strategy on this one for now.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom