DASHCAM DISABLED ON NEW model CLA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nielstuart

Car
CLA 220
In the manuals which came with my 2019/2020 CLA it discusses how to set up the dashcam using existing on board cameras. However the license for this shows it disabled and I understand from dealer that all are disabled in the UK and possibly Europe. Anyone know why MB turned off this feature?

Legislation - dash cams are prohibited in several European countries

Austria? you can get a hefty fine for having one installed and active.

Legislation - dash cams are prohibited in several European countries

Yes but we're in the UK. It does P*** me off when companies prevent me from doing something that is perfectly legal in the UK just because it's illegal somewhere else. They do the same with speed cameras just in case we happen to drive to Timbuktu, where they might not be allowed (other countries are available, substitute your own choice).

What happened to freedom of choice?

T
Yes but we're in the UK. It does P*** me off when companies prevent me from doing something that is perfectly legal in the UK just because it's illegal somewhere else. They do the same with speed cameras just in case we happen to drive to Timbuktu, where they might not be allowed (other countries are available, substitute your own choice).

You have the choice to fit your own...

nickpb - with NTG6 (also known as MBUX), if you have the optional Augmented Reality camera then it can be used as a dash cam (with a SD card) in certain markets - but it seems not in UK. We probably need to work out how to get the licence, enable it and re-code the car a bit.

Richard

SL doesn't. It's the new A class derivatives, and the new GLC (i.e with touchscreen) and you need the Augmented Reality option (which I think only works with the high-line system) because it has a camera on the front for the COMAND.

The last year facelifted C didn't get NTG6 it got NTG5.5

R

In the manuals which came with my 2019/2020 CLA it discusses how to set up the dashcam using existing on board cameras. However the license for this shows it disabled and I understand from dealer that all are disabled in the UK and possibly Europe. Anyone know why MB turned off this feature?

They haven’t sorted out the dash cam feature in the app yet either, so for now it’s turned off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi RIchard,

I have a 2017 CLS X218 with front/rear/wing mirror cameras, don't know what you mean by augmented reality but it does also show the plan view of the car. I've always wondered if the system could be hooked up to a HD or SD card to double up as a dashcam, it seems an incredible waste for these not to be able to. Is it possible?

Cheers
Nito

Nothing, happened to freedom of choice. Mercedes chose not to make it available in the UK.

I see this is an old thread but I have ordered the Mercedes-Benz fitted dash camera for our 2021 E-class

In Portugal it is illegal to video anything (technicially) but if you have dash cam in your car you could be fined thousands of € and loose your car.

The dash cam does not even need to be active or fitted.

Just came on to post the response I've just got from Mercedes about the dashcam and this thread popped up.
I've asked through the Mercedes Me app how I could activate the dashcam, I asked the dealer when I bought the car but they never responded, here's the Mercedes response .....

MercedesMe said:
Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect.

The Dashcam service will be introduced as an On-Demand service in the first quarter of this year.
It will initially only be available for cars with MBUX Augmented Reality and a dashcam icon will appear among the MBUX icons.
An update will be released simultaneously with the release of the Dashcam service to allow adequate integration with the system.

Unfortunately, we do not have a precise date at the moment, but it will be communicated to all users as soon as it is decided by the development team.

The first quarter of this year ..... that ends today, unless the mean financial year. I'll give it a couple of months and ask again.

Just came on to post the response I've just got from Mercedes about the dashcam and this thread popped up.
I've asked through the Mercedes Me app how I could activate the dashcam, I asked the dealer when I bought the car but they never responded, here's the Mercedes response .....

The first quarter of this year ..... that ends today, unless the mean financial year. I'll give it a couple of months and ask again.
Hi , it is illegal to own a dash cam in Portugal.

It is technically illegal to use a phone video camera as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom