Dashcam on Android 8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
I bought a USB dashcam to run on my Android 6 system. The type with its own USB storage facility.
Plugged in the system would recognise a USB storage but refused to show any video on the dashcam app.

I thought faulty, got an eBay refund and bought another similar but a little different, same result. So did the same, and bought another, this time a bit more expensive. Same result.

My system was becoming dimmer, and I read that these were for Android 7 and above. Today my new Android 8 arrived. Bench testing and all 3 dashcams do the same.
I would be flippin' unlucky for 3 to be faulty has anyone any suggestions as to what I'm not doing here?

A few questions.......

What dashcam have you bought?
When you say USB storage do you mean SD card?
What is your "Android 6 system" and how/why does this interact with the dashcam?
What is the dashcam app?

This type of dashcam,
I still have all 3, different, but they do the same

ADAS HD 720P USB Car DVR Hidden Camera 140° Driving Video Recorder Dash Cam UK | eBay

This is the new HU, but both the new (Android 8) but the old (Android 6) responds in the same way

9" DAB+BT Android 8.0 Car Stereo GPS TPMS Mercedes A/B Class Sprinter Viano Vito | eBay

Plug in the usb, with or w/o SD installed into the cam and the system will flip to the music app, as the HU recognises a new USB storage is connected.
Both systems run the DVR app, neither will allow for video on the app.

I haven't tried on the Android 8 new HU but this type of dashcam, but an older version, runs well enough on the old HU. Poor quality though.
Front Facing DVR Camera Dash Cam USB Android Head Units Loop Recording HD CA550 | eBay

Some success.
fr99 you gave me some thoughts by asking which app, and when I replied to say the lesser quality cam would run I thought it may be the video setting. In that app there is no selection.

I tries a couple more dashcam apps w/o success. They can look cool but one caused the HU to continually reboot after a few minutes.

I looked online and found a video, there a HU / cam supplier shows how to interogate an SD and I guess when it recognises a camera is given a link to download. I installed another app and now I have it running.
The app seems somewhat basic but it starts and records from power up. I can replay footage through it. So although no GPS speed or location it does the job. As it's called Hyper DVR I suppose it's deigned for HD cams.

Of the 3 cams I have 2 or good, the 1st still won't run so 1 faulty of 3 isn't a bad ratio of Chinese stuff.
So I've chosen the better for instal, which happens to be the most expensive at a staggering £19.99
Hopefully it won't cause rf interference.

It'll only run a 32gig SD but since the 64gig I've taken from the old HU has recording back to late November that'll still record a few ,000 miles.

I have an Andriod 8 headunit in my car, I found the dash cam options were either so basic or so much trouble to use I just went back to a separate one, I think the hardware is good but the software is rubbish, low demand means not much choice and what choice there is seems barely functional.

Some success.
fr99 you gave me some thoughts by asking which app, and when I replied to say the lesser quality cam would run I thought it may be the video setting. In that app there is no selection.

I tries a couple more dashcam apps w/o success. They can look cool but one caused the HU to continually reboot after a few minutes.

I looked online and found a video, there a HU / cam supplier shows how to interogate an SD and I guess when it recognises a camera is given a link to download. I installed another app and now I have it running.
The app seems somewhat basic but it starts and records from power up. I can replay footage through it. So although no GPS speed or location it does the job. As it's called Hyper DVR I suppose it's deigned for HD cams.

Of the 3 cams I have 2 or good, the 1st still won't run so 1 faulty of 3 isn't a bad ratio of Chinese stuff.
So I've chosen the better for instal, which happens to be the most expensive at a staggering £19.99

It'll only run a 32gig SD but since the 64gig I've taken from the old HU has recording back to late November that'll still record a few ,000 miles.
Some success.

I bought a USB dashcam to run on my Android 6 system. The type with its own USB storage facility.
Plugged in the system would recognise a USB storage but refused to show any video on the dashcam app.

I thought faulty, got an eBay refund and bought another similar but a little different, same result. So did the same, and bought another, this time a bit more expensive. Same result.

My system was becoming dimmer, and I read that these were for Android 7 and above. Today my new Android 8 arrived. Bench testing and all 3 dashcams do the same.
I would be flippin' unlucky for 3 to be faulty has anyone any suggestions as to what I'm not doing here?

Hi New one here..... trying to diagnose a brake light switch fuse fault on my W639 It might be a poss SAM fault. saw that you had one available for diagnosis...i would be up for paying postage......As Im a new member could not find a way of contacting you other thank this.

I bit of an update.
I installed the new HU into the Vito (Android 8, 9")
All working well enough. Tbh I don't see advantage, yet, of Android 8 over Android 6. Aside from the much better quality dashcam being able to run, on its basic app, it does the same.
The new HU is 4 gig of ram as apposed to 2, it does boot a little faster and maybe it will be smoother, we'll see.
Oh it picks up the house router easier and stronger, and seems to find my phone and BT sender for Torque easier.

The downside and the annoying bit is that the tuner isn't as sensitive.
I travel to N Wales often and knew when to flip to another station. Peak FM going up toward the Cat & Fiddle, Silk FM down tother side. I could listen top Silk till well down the M56 till near Preston Brook, then over to Heart.
Peak FM isn't even good on my driveway. There is some RF from the new dashcam so I've extended the dashcams plug to 1 metre away as there is electronics within, but really the problem is the reduced sensitivity of the tuner. But the old was impossible to view with anything like moderate sunlight from trhe n/s. The new has a screen a little brighter and is purported to be better to see at an angle.
I guess I'll test it on a journey soon enough. So much does seem to be pot luck with Chinese kit, but I can always return to sender under eBay protection.

I bit of an update.
All working well enough. Tbh I don't see advantage, yet, of Android 8 over Android 6. Aside from the much better quality dashcam being able to run, on its basic app, it does the same.
The new HU is 4 gig of ram as apposed to 2, it does boot a little faster and maybe it will be smoother, we'll see.
Oh it picks up the house router easier and stronger, and seems to find my phone and BT sender for Torque easier.

The downside and the annoying bit is that the tuner isn't as sensitive.
I travel to N Wales often and knew when to flip to another station. Peak FM going up toward the Cat & Fiddle, Silk FM down tother side. I could listen top Silk till well down the M56 till near Preston Brook, then over to Heart.
Peak FM isn't even good on my driveway. There is some RF from the new dashcam so I've extended the dashcams plug to 1 metre away as there is electronics within, but really the problem is the reduced sensitivity of the tuner. But the old was impossible to view with anything like moderate sunlight from trhe n/s. The new has a screen a little brighter and is purported to be better to see at an angle.
I guess I'll test it on a journey soon enough. So much does seem to be pot luck with Chinese kit, but I can always return to sender under eBay protection.
Sorry for some reason because im new I dont have enough privileges to respond on classified parts link as you suggested. I'm going to take the SAM out again and check code to make sure its right one...then I will be in touch...my postcode is CW8 4JQ

Reactions: m80
Best o luck.
I would have been surprised if a faulty SAM was the cause of a fuse blowing, but can see the intelligence in taking the SAM out of the equition.

Maybe if you start a new thread specifically with the fault described...

Best o luck.
I would have been surprised if a faulty SAM was the cause of a fuse blowing, but can see the intelligence in taking the SAM out of the equition.

Best o luck.

Thanks I have started a new tread explaining the problem. one step at time and I will get it sorted...I hope

I bit of an update.
All working well enough. Tbh I don't see advantage, yet, of Android 8 over Android 6.

I bought mine because it had more memory and a faster CPU, there often isn't much difference between Andriod versions on the surface, besides, i'm not 100% sure I trust the manufacturers to be honest about version numbers anyway, could just be a flashier front end for all i know! Mine works well enough though I did brick my first one one trying to root it.

Aye, the better spec is more important than the type of silly name Android gives it.
A better quality dashcam is desired, but the app is lacking tbh.
A drive earlier taught me I can't live with the tuner, so it's going back.
Also the canbus decoder is confused. No matter what cluster page I'm on if I try to scroll it causes the HU to search a new station or advance tracks if in music media.
I'm now looking for a newer version of the HU I took out in hope it has a better screen. Android 7 is easy to find nowadays, but if not careful I might be flogged off with slower cpu's or reduced memory of both types.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom