Dashcam - switched and permanent live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I've bought a dashcam with a hardwire kit.

On an E Class 212, where can I pick up power for either switched (ignition on activated) or permanent live?

There's a motion detector (with battery protection) which would enable a permanent live to be used.

What about the interior light overhead console?

Looking at WIS, your fuse boxes are engine bay and boot, not internal drivers side as in my oldie.

Fusebox or fag lighter, many have said don't go anywhere near the overhead console as you can trigger errors

Fusebox or fag lighter, many have said don't go anywhere near the overhead console as you can trigger errors

Interesting - mine is mounted on the housing that covers the stereo cameras and I get a buzz that seems to increase with revs. If it is interference then I suspect even on the windscreen in the same area I'll have the same problem.

I think he means to not to go near the over head panel for power.

I did but there are a lot of reports of dash cams causing interference with DAB signals and the like so might be connected.

Could also be something loose inside obviously but try wrapping the cam in cooking foil and see if it makes a difference...obviously just for testing not as a permanent cure :)

Not at £45 + VAT Tom - how's our baby?

It's very good thanks,I've been talking to the trimmers today so I may get it re upholstered soon.

I picked up a dashcam off amazon that's arrived, just waiting for my SLK to be ready to install it.

Most people seem to suggest to fit it behind the rear view mirror so it's out of sight and you can get the most out of the FoV. Putting the wires up into the roof headlining, down the A pillar and behind dash to power it off the cig lighter.

Personally I'm going to get a few quotes from local auto electricians before "having a go", but that's purely down to fitting it on the SLK, don't want to risk breaking some trim clips etc and having the dreaded convertible dashboard rattle!

I fitted my two cameras, fron and rear on my C63, front behind mirror, you dont see it when driving, rear you can not see as reverse LED's are in the way. I ran the leads across the top edge where the roof trim meets A, B and C post, took about 2 mins. Then in to the boot. I fitted the power unit that powers off ignition and off permant feed so its on all the time but protects the battery from going flat.

Has anyone already managed to fit a dash can in a w205 C Class?
I'm really struggling to find two suitable fuses. I might be doing something wrong, but in my previous car, a 2010 Audi A4, the installation was a walk in the park. On the w205 though I do not seem to get any power to my Lukas LK290 battery discharge prevention device. I've tried several fuses combinations (all ACC & B, of course), both with the fuse taps and without, but so far I still cannot get any power.
If I connect the camera directly to the cigarette lighter socket, it works fine.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom