Dashcam switched power on W213

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omega1

Car
E400d 2020 4matic (W213)
Hi all,

I've purchased a nextbase 213GW (mixed results so far) and need to wire it in permanently. I need a switched feed from somewhere, the obvious starting point is somewhere in the rear view mirror enclosure.

Question is, is there a suitable switched 12v in there? Power requirements are 1.5A at 5v, I'm not expecting to find 5v there of course, so will need to get it from 12v to 5v which isn't a problem. But current is a consideration even if there were to be a switched source there.

Failing the rear view mirror, what are people doing for there power feeds? Where is the next place to go?

I was thinking running it down the passenger door bit but then where? Where is there a switched power source?

Thanks.

I had the same challenge. You're going to need to go all the way to rear fusebox I'm afraid. There's nothing switched that's accessible that I could find any further forwards. You can fairly easily run the wire along the floor sill past the front and rear doors and then up and between the parcel shelf and the rear seat back and thence into the boot. Seems like a big faff, but actually it was OK when I did it.

Arghhh. I really didn't want to go to that much trouble! Thank you for your reply. What kind of cable did you use our of interest?
Was it just a USB mini to USB cable (5 metre?) and then put a 12v to 5v adaptor in the rear fusebox?

Actually (for historical reasons because I originally wired it to a permanent supply) what I did was run the USB cable down the passenger's A pillar and into the fusebox in the passenger footwell. It was just long enough to get there. That's where I put the 12v to 5v converter and secured an earth connection. Then I ran just a single 12v line all the way back from there (under the front and rear door sill trim, etc) to the rear fusebox where I used a piggyback fuse connector onto one of the fuses there that I found was switched with the ignition (bottom right of image).

IMG_4149 (1).jpg

It depends, some fuses will be permanent live, some will be switched live.

Would the power from a front fuse box go off after a time period?

My experience of testing this is no, never. I really wanted to find a switched-live in the front fusebox so I searched and searched, researched and tested. I couldn't find any power source that ever went off :-(. Had to run a wire to the back, which actually wasn't nearly as hard a job as I thought it would be.

I'll be fitting a dash cam to my 2016 W212 in a few weeks, I was hoping that there would be a switched live in the fusebox on the end of the dash I could tap into with a piggyback fuse. This thread isn't filling me with confidence though.

My experience of testing this is no, never. I really wanted to find a switched-live in the front fusebox so I searched and searched, researched and tested. I couldn't find any power source that ever went off :-(. Had to run a wire to the back, which actually wasn't nearly as hard a job as I thought it would be.

Yeah I tested also it’s a weird setup that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Halfords fitted my Nextbase dashcam they used a feed from the fuse box in the passenger footwell , they had to put an inline circuit board , which made the feed switch on & off with the ignition. I did notice today that it also goes off if the stop/ start kicks in.
I say " CIRCUIT BOARD" because I can't quite remember what the tech said it was, but it came FOC with the fitting cost of £30.

Don't think I'd be happy with that, the dash cam should remain on for as long as the ignition is on.

If sat in stationary traffic with the engine stopped due the activation of the stop/start feature I'd want the dash cam to still be recording.

I'd be having a chat with your Halfords branch.

Not particularly bothered about it, takes about 15 seconds to actually stop recording , can't think of a scenario when it would be a problem.

It would be just my luck, sat at the lights with the dash can powered down, that someone would collide with my car.

When Halfords fitted my Nextbase dashcam they used a feed from the fuse box in the passenger footwell , they had to put an inline circuit board , which made the feed switch on & off with the ignition. I did notice today that it also goes off if the stop/ start kicks in.

It would be just my luck, sat at the lights with the dash can powered down, that someone would collide with my car.

Shouldn't be a problem if you don't switch off the ignition...

Take another look at the sentence immediately after the section you've quoted in bold...

"I did notice today that it also goes off if the stop / start kicks in"

Take another look at the sentence immediately after the section you've quoted in bold...

"I did notice today that it also goes off if the stop / start kicks in"

Yeah missed that.

Don't know about your car but mine doesn't stay switched off for that long in stop/start - you would have to be very unlucky!

In my experience, most co6k-piggery takes place when you are moving anyway.

My current car is a Skoda Superb, the dash cam is piggybacked into an empty but live (switched) 15A fuse in the end panel on the dash. The dash cam therefore turns on with the ignition, and off about 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off (the delay is adjustable on the cameras menu).

It stays running when the stop/start kicks in.

I pick the E-Class up on Friday and was hoping to swap the dash cam into the new car, almost as is.

Doesn't sound as though I'm going to be that lucky though, especially if I'm having to route the power cable to the boot.

There must be some switched live fuses on the car to ensure things like the lights, wipers, A/C etc. all continue to operate with the engine off but the ignition on i.e. when stop/start has kicked in.

Sounds like it's gonna be fun :)

My SL has a 12v socket in the passenger footwell so i routed my cable down the A pillar to that. Does your not have one there or in the glovebox??

I'll check when I get a proper look at the car later this week.

On the Skoda, weirdly, the 12V accessory sockets are all permanent live i.e. they're live with the ignition off, making them unsuitable for the dash cam, unless you remember to unplug them each time you leave the car and plug it back in before setting off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom