Date as Postmark Doh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dryce

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Received a letter asking for some some information (nothing sinister) with a legal requirement to reply within 7 days

It's headed 'date as postmark'. It's been sent by TNT mail - so no postmark.

My first thought out of badness is to send a reply saying I can't comply and for them to send me a properly formed letter. If I'm feeling particularly bad then I might not tell them why I think it's malformed in the hope of getting a response with the same problem.

My first thought out of badness is to send a reply saying I can't comply and for them to send me a properly formed letter. If I'm feeling particularly bad then I might not tell them why I think it's malformed in the hope of getting a response with the same problem.
You're bored, aren't you ;):p

Unless they specifically say 7 days from the date of the letter, than it would normally be 7 days from receipt of the letter, and while you could always claim that it was delayed in the post, with TNT they will have PoD with your signature and the exact date and time it was received.

Unless they specifically say 7 days from the date of the letter, than it would normally be 7 days from receipt of the letter, and while you could always claim that it was delayed in the post, with TNT they will have PoD with your signature and the exact date and time it was received.

No signature on delivery.

You're bored, aren't you ;):p

Just get irritated with things far too easily.

Hate the slovenly inconsistency from large organisations, HMG, NHS, and local authorities on this sort of thing.

I often send these kind of things back with a covering note .....

"we regret that we do not have the resources to provide this information in the format requested"

or

"we are unable to comply with this request at this time"

Depends - whilst letters appear they are delivered by some companies they might use DSA (Down Stream Access) where they do some of the work but they pay Royal Mail to actually sort and deliver it!

I always "think" that unless it has a date ON the letter or a DATE TO REPLY BY then it can't be that important as otherwise it all does depend on when you receive it....odd one!

I always "think" that unless it has a date ON the letter or a DATE TO REPLY BY then it can't be that important as otherwise it all does depend on when you receive it....odd one!

I'd concur.

Date as postmark seems to be a bit of laziness - one less variable bit of the letter - and no visible discrepancy between the date of the latter and the date of despatch if it is delayed internally.

Maybe the question should be - why does TNT not postmark? The letter I received was almost certainly delivered by Royal Mail - Im slightly surprised that don't they postmark stuff that enters their downstream system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom