Date as Postmark Doh!

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Dryce, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Received a letter asking for some some information (nothing sinister) with a legal requirement to reply within 7 days

It's headed 'date as postmark'. It's been sent by TNT mail - so no postmark.

My first thought out of badness is to send a reply saying I can't comply and for them to send me a properly formed letter. If I'm feeling particularly bad then I might not tell them why I think it's malformed in the hope of getting a response with the same problem.

2. st13phil

st13phil MB Enthusiast

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    You're bored, aren't you ;):p

3. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Unless they specifically say 7 days from the date of the letter, than it would normally be 7 days from receipt of the letter, and while you could always claim that it was delayed in the post, with TNT they will have PoD with your signature and the exact date and time it was received.

4. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    He is.

An so am I... :)

5. OP
    OP
    Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    No signature on delivery.

6. OP
    OP
    Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Just get irritated with things far too easily.

Hate the slovenly inconsistency from large organisations, HMG, NHS, and local authorities on this sort of thing.

4 people like this.
  7. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    I often send these kind of things back with a covering note .....

"we regret that we do not have the resources to provide this information in the format requested"

or

"we are unable to comply with this request at this time"

8. tagnut

tagnut Active Member

Car:
    '03 E320 CDI Avantgarde
    What letter?

1 person likes this.
  9. gina2201

gina2201 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
    Depends - whilst letters appear they are delivered by some companies they might use DSA (Down Stream Access) where they do some of the work but they pay Royal Mail to actually sort and deliver it!

I always "think" that unless it has a date ON the letter or a DATE TO REPLY BY then it can't be that important as otherwise it all does depend on when you receive it....odd one!

10. OP
    OP
    Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I'd concur.

Date as postmark seems to be a bit of laziness - one less variable bit of the letter - and no visible discrepancy between the date of the latter and the date of despatch if it is delayed internally.

Maybe the question should be - why does TNT not postmark? The letter I received was almost certainly delivered by Royal Mail - Im slightly surprised that don't they postmark stuff that enters their downstream system.

Tags: