Daughter's Bedroom revamp.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

We evicted our daughter from her room today and moved her into the spare bedroom.

A full revamp of her bedroom & en-suite is planned.

Everything is under control but I'd like help/advice on a starry night ceiling.

As a starting point can anyone give thoughts on these:

DiY FIBRE OPTIC LIGHTING STAR CEILING KIT RGBW 0,75mm x 400pcs x 4m DIY | eBay

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIBRE-OPT...951215?hash=item41af4d45ef:g:8B4AAOSwYGFUxF5A

We live in a bungalow with 15mm plasterboard ceilings so there's a huge space to work with from above her ceiling.

TIA.

Ant. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it easier when someone feeds fibers from the top while I'm drilling from underneath.

How the other half live, all I got as a child was glow in the dark star stickers on my ceiling and an effort of the walk to the (one!) bathroom across the landing! :eek:

Haha

You planning on drilling holes and feeding the cables through for each individual star? Is that how they work? Would look ace if you staggered them. A bunch 20mm hanging from the ceiling, some at 5mm, a few at 10mm and some flush

I find it easier when someone feeds fibers from the top while I'm drilling from underneath.

Thanks for the heads up.

However, I'm more than comfortable with the fitting process. I'm mostly after advice on the produce sourcing.

Ant. :thumb:

How the other half live, all I got as a child was glow in the dark star stickers on my ceiling and an effort of the walk to the (one!) bathroom across the landing! :eek:

Haha

You planning on drilling holes and feeding the cables through for each individual star? Is that how they work? Would look ace if you staggered them. A bunch 20mm hanging from the ceiling, some at 5mm, a few at 10mm and some flush

Hehe, yes, I'll admit it seems crazy Ash. As an only child she is truely spoilt. However, as long as she doesn't behave spoilt then all is good. She's a belter (I would say that wouldn't I? :D) so we are more than happy to treat her.

Yes, the way to do this is to drill 3-400 holes totally random, no pattern. The optics come in 3 thicknesses. 0.5, 1.0 & 1.5mm. You use the thickest around the centre of the room and the thinnest around the parimeter to give best effect.

Im a weird builder. I love working on our house. :bannana:

Will look brilliant when done, glad I'm not drilling 400 holes and feeding 400 wires through them though!

How old is she ?

Maybe you could consider replicating some of the stars in the sky showing the constellations etc.

Get an image, reverse the colours and project it onto the ceiling.

Will look brilliant when done, glad I'm not drilling 400 holes and feeding 400 wires through them though!

Glad I'm not drilling them either! :D

Our lil one is off school for 6 weeks! :bannana:

How old is she ?

Maybe you could consider replicating some of the stars in the sky showing the constellations etc.

Get an image, reverse the colours and project it onto the ceiling.

Super idea Steve. She's 11 and well into stuff like this. She'll love that idea. :thumb:

Ant.

Drilling the optic fiber holes, or the LED light holes is going to be a pain. I know that it is easy to drill a plaster board ceiling, but sooner or later you will run into the joists.

If you are not doing it to any design or pattern then it's easy-peasy, just a decent battery drill and pop, pop, pop, through the plaster board. I presume you are going to hold the lamps in place with a little dab of silicon ?

In fairness, the optic fiber lights are really nice, and of course, they are dim-able. That means you can use a programmable controller to change the frequency and duration of the intervals the lights are on.

I think it will look very nice, and the big advantage of either optic fiber, or LED, is that they don't create heat.

I have installed hundreds of downlighters in my time, from normal 50mm, 50 watt lamps, to nice little cabinet type ones, around 10 or 15mm, and I always like the effect.

A nice little project if you get it right, she'll be really pleased with it.

parkman

With the joists situation- some strong (but thin) fishing trace laced through with the cable should be able to direct them and keep them in place, I.e the 'stars' can still stay uniform in pattern from below the joists bent under them into place- if that makes sense at all? Lol

So, holes drilled either side of joist, cables with trace fed through curved below through the ceiling hanging beneath the joist positions...

My daughter had device that you hang from the original light fitting that then projects the constellations onto the ceiling. It was remotely controlled and came from ebay.

I had a torch under the quilt.

What happens when she's grown up and moved out?

Lots of little holes to fill.

Tell me about it - we didn't even have an inside toilet til 1974.

Then we all had extensions built at the back of the house with a bath and toilet. Luxury indeed. Going to the ensuite meant climbing out of my bedroom window on to the extension roof. :rock:

That said my daughter lives in absolute luxury compared to my childhood.

The magic to all this is when it's all done and the look her face Ant, I used to love doing things like this for my girls.......

All reminds me of when daughter no 3 was about seven. We both went out to put the animals away one frosty night and the night sky was a myriad of stars. Beautiful. "Look at all of the stars" said Jess, so I explained how they were all suns like ours - unimaginable distances away. Orion was in full view and as clear as I've ever seen him, so I went on to explain what a constellation was, telling her that in the olden days he was thought of as a hunter god, pointing out all of the features, belt, sword etc. It was one if those special moments where you truly bond with your child - sharing your knowledge and passion. Turning my gaze from the firmament and looking down at her to see if there was any more if my wisdom that I could impart, she looked at me and said "I'm freezing, dad. Can we go in now?"

What happens when she's grown up and moved out?

Lots of little holes to fill.

There'll only be 400 of them Lew. Oh but a small job.

Anyhow, who said she will grow up or move out??? :eek: don't upset me on a Friday dude. :fail

Ant. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All reminds me of when daughter no 3 was about seven. We both went out to put the animals away one frosty night and the night sky was a myriad of stars. Beautiful. "Look at all of the stars" said Jess, so I explained how they were all suns like ours - unimaginable distances away. Orion was in full view and as clear as I've ever seen him, so I went on to explain what a constellation was, telling her that in the olden days he was thought of as a hunter god, pointing out all of the features, belt, sword etc. It was one if those special moments where you truly bond with your child - sharing your knowledge and passion. Turning my gaze from the firmament and looking down at her to see if there was any more if my wisdom that I could impart, she looked at me and said "I'm freezing, dad. Can we go in now?"

Fantastic Ted. Love reading your posts. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom