David_H's C280 Build Up Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm new to Mercs, can someone tell me the difference between late & early spec bumpers.

Are the late & early spec bumpers the same shape, but on the later ones they are colour coded rather than 2 tone & chrome.

Also what is the difference between sport bumpers & normal bumpers, are the former wider/smoother?

Thanks in advance.

Finally, anyone know if that hideous spoiler on my car is original or aftermarket, and whether it's bonded on or rivited to the boot?

Will continue to post pics as project progresses, suspension is holding things up currently.

david_h said:
Are the late & early spec bumpers the same shape, but on the later ones they are colour coded rather than 2 tone & chrome.
Both pre-facelift and facelift bumpers can be two-toned or have chrome parts on them. The pre-facelift bumpers have a lower, unpainted plastic part on them that was replaced with a lower skirt/valance on facelift models, although the rear bumper looks basically the same the front bumper has three openings in the airdam - pre-facelift has just the one, which leads me to your next question...
david_h said:
Also what is the difference between sport bumpers & normal bumpers, are the former wider/smoother?
Sport bumpers are basically the same as all the other bumpers except they are only one paint colour and have no chrome pieces on them. The airdam on the facelift front bumper has a plastic slotted-grill in it except on the sport which has a plastic-moulded mesh-like grill.
david_h said:
Finally, anyone know if that hideous spoiler on my car is original or aftermarket, and whether it's bonded on or rivited to the boot?
Aftermarket and probably riveted I'm afraid, the only oem spoiler is the AMG one which is quite distinctive and also quite expensive.

david_h said:
I'm new to Mercs, can someone tell me the difference between late & early spec bumpers.

Hello mate, its BBW who emailed you. if you check my galleries you can see the difference between facelift & pre-facelift bumpers.

Pre-facelift

Facelift

Ive done alot of mods to mine, although ive tried to keep it looking OEM :)

KillerHERTZ said:
Hello mate, its BBW who emailed you. if you check my galleries you can see the difference between facelift & pre-facelift bumpers.

Pre-facelift

Facelift

Ive done alot of mods to mine, although ive tried to keep it looking OEM :)

car looks damn sweet, the bumpers are 10times better with the face lift ones.

Are these mega bucks? I see what you mean about the lower spoiler bit, seems to make a lot of difference in providing a more aggressive stance to the car.

david_h said:
Are these mega bucks? I see what you mean about the lower spoiler bit, seems to make a lot of difference in providing a more aggressive stance to the car.
He bought them from me for peanuts, although to be fair they were a little bit rough (he has since cleaned and painted them, then roughed them up in his own way ;) )

Not to mention the armies of Spiders living in both bumpers!

I have since had a brand new front bumper after a small argument with a Ford Focus, I sold the damaged facelift (Shudes) bumper on eBay for £100!!!! :)

KillerHERTZ said:
I have since had a brand new front bumper after a small argument with a Ford Focus, I sold the damaged facelift (Shudes) bumper on eBay for £100!!!! :)
That's not bad, I sold the whole lot to you for not much more than that IIRC!

Brand new prices are about £500 each for front and rear bumpers then about £150 each for sideskirts, all plus paint and fitting if required. All the clips and clamps etc to hold it all together plus weather strips for under the doors comes to another £40 or something I think.

8c_1_b.JPG

I was amazed it went for so much! only got £32 for the pre-faclift though :(

Never buy of Shude, the items will be cursed :)

Shude said:
David your wheels are insane!

Photo_0135.sized.jpg

:crazy:

thanks matey, they're alright, but not my favourite wheel, I have a budget to keep to as this is my daily car. My show car is something else altogether.

took the car for a 300mile round trip today, it's awesome on the motorway. My first Merc so a bit of an experience.

Suspension kit turned up from Germany this afternoon, will try and get it fitted next week.

that rear boot spoiler is not as bad as some I've seen but I still prefer the unadorned bootlid look. :D

Great job with the wheels, you should source a proper AMG bodykit for it ;)

BTW any rubbing on full lock with the wheels?

mickl said:
that rear boot spoiler is not as bad as some I've seen but I still prefer the unadorned bootlid look. :D

Great job with the wheels, you should source a proper AMG bodykit for it ;)

BTW any rubbing on full lock with the wheels?

yep, got rubbing on the front wheels.

They rub on the inside of the wheel against that vertical strut thingy, wtf is that?? I've never owned a RWD car with independent suspension all round?

Assume I have to run a spacer at the front to avoid this.

Also, the lower I go, will the rubbing get worse? i.e. it brings the wheel closer to the vertical strut?

Thanks in advance.

TBH I think your fronts might be a bit too wide . I think 8" is the comfortable max on a w202. Try www.club202.com, they're lots of guys on there with seriously modded C Classes.

mickl said:
TBH I think your fronts might be a bit too wide . I think 8" is the comfortable max on a w202. Try www.club202.com, they're lots of guys on there with seriously modded C Classes.

thanks for the tip, I knew the 9"s would be a tight fit, just need a 5mm spacer and it'll be fine.

Can't believe how easily the rears went on.

Here are a couple of primative photoshops of the look I'm going for when it's lowered.

25_tint.sized.jpg

50_tint.sized.jpg

lowered.sized.jpg

Nice work I like it. That is some lip on those rims.

Whats the show car??

Hi David,

Car's coming on a treat. The wheels look great too :cool: One thing that I have just noticed is that your side repeaters are still orange ;)

Just by pure chance, I have a set of smoked side repeaters that I bought a while back, and never fitted. If you're interested, give us a shout and I'll dig them up or get a picture for you etc :)

Cheers,

Will

Will said:
Hi David,

Car's coming on a treat. The wheels look great too :cool: One thing that I have just noticed is that your side repeaters are still orange ;)

Just by pure chance, I have a set of smoked side repeaters that I bought a while back, and never fitted. If you're interested, give us a shout and I'll dig them up or get a picture for you etc :)

Cheers,

Will

I ordered a set of smoked side repeaters from MTS in Germany, but they haven't turned up yet. I'm not sure my order went through, sometimes the German language is a real barrier.

Send me a pic of them over if possible and how much you want for them, also where abouts in country you are.

Email is [email protected]

Showcar pics below, took it to pieces in December 2003, won't be finished for another year.

GTI_Meet_06030055.jpg

GTI_Meet_06030009.jpg

GTI_Meet_06030054.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures of your car.

Any plans for the interior?

It is so much easier spending money as opposed to earning it.

Good luck,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom