Day Running Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashfaq1959

Hi,can any helpfull member advice or put me in the right direction as I have just bought a MB S320 on a 56 plate and would like similar day running led lights to either replace the fog lights or somewhere near them.Gratefull for any help/advice. Thanks Ashfaq

I would like to know more for my W211, so I'll watch your replies with interest.

As said, you want to keep the fog-lights.

But it would be nice to see a complete model-specific kit on the market that replaces the original fog-lights and surround with a unit containing both fog-lights and DRLs.

Unfortunately most 'model-specific' kits I have seen on eBay etc are in fact generic with only slight modifications, and essentially comprise of a LED strip that is fixed on top or next to the fog-lights and some wire and switches with fitting instructions.

Also, ideally the day running lights should be switched off automatically when the dipped beam is switched on, and vice versa.

I really do not like LED day running lights......wholly undesirable in my opinion.

Mic

I looked into this before.

Front fogs, front driving, and daylight running lamps :-

The regs appear to dictate that (front) day running lights can only be used on they're own i.e. no other lights showing to the front, they must extinguish if the side lights are on.

Front fogs must extinguish with main beam, they can be on with dip. They may only be used in fog. That means we rarely use them. They should extinguish with main beam, I don't think the MB light system does that, it leaves them on.
The argument being that front fogs can dazzle oncoming, whereas they have by design a low wide diffuse beam to prevent back-dazzle, and day running are supposed not to dazzle whereas all the ones I've seen have a tightly focused pencil beam. The side/daylights on my old Volvo 245 were 4/32W incandescent but had a 270º diffuse beam on each corner, it also put the tail lights on.

Day running lights are about being seen especially by oncoming and peds, I've had a number of close SMIDSY moments with this big black MB, whereas I had few/none with the white Volvo. Driving with lights on improves the situation but the side "city" lamps ain't enough and the Xenon dips are OTT. I'm thinking it should be possible to re-configure the redundant front fogs as civilised day running, and comply with regs.

Driving lights may only come on with main beam, they must extinguish with dip. I had these on a rally-sports TR7.

Rear fogs can only be used in poor visibility (fog/spray) and must be turned off as soon as visibility improves.

There are any number of LED day running lamp kits on the market e.g. Ring

The regs appear to dictate that (front) day running lights can only be used on they're own i.e. no other lights showing ...

Driving lights may only come on with main beam, they must extinguish with dip...

what is the difference between day running lights and driving lights?
Mel.

You don't like them then, LOL

Personally, no.

Don't get me wrong, I 'do' ostentatious - if I could afford it, I happily would have a lime green Murcielago, for example.

However, these lights always look cheap and 'look at me, I'm driving a 2.0 TDI Audi or E220CDI Merc'.

Congratulations.

:doh:

As 'jefrs' explains above, drivers with just fogs on are contravening lighting regulations; however they are better than just sidelight at dusk/dawn and in towns. Day running lights are the answer and I believe Phillips do a range, those I have seen fitted generally look a bit odd, not bright enough and/or poorly positioned.

what is the difference between day running lights and driving lights?
Mel.
Driving lights should only come on with main beam. Useful fitted to rally cars, Cibie were very popular in my rallying days. Very often 4 fitted , the outer two angled outwards for a very wide spread of light. They are very high power, usually with much larger reflective areas than normal headlights, brilliant in dark forests at night. Think Lancia Stratos, Ford Mexico, Audi Quattro etc.

Driving lights should only come on with main beam. Useful fitted to rally cars, Cibie were very popular in my rallying days. Very often 4 fitted , the outer two angled outwards for a very wide spread of light. They are very high power, usually with much larger reflective areas than normal headlights, brilliant in dark forests at night. Think Lancia Stratos, Ford Mexico, Audi Quattro etc.

There is also a 'green' motivation behind this. Driving with the headlights on consumes energy, while for daytime driving the use of low-energy LEDs (which are meant to be seen by other, not allow the driver to see better) are more eco-friendly.

Personally I have always driven cars with the headlights permanently on - day or night, rain or sunshine (i.e. Swedish style). This is 'poor man's DRL' - If my car had proper DRLs I would have gladly used them instead.

Personally I have always driven cars with the headlights permanently on - day or night, rain or sunshine (i.e. Swedish style). This is 'poor man's DRL' - If my car had proper DRLs I would have gladly used them instead.

I do that too, and both of our cars are set to auto-run the lights at all times (this can be disabled). DRL's don't do anything with the rear lights, you may have noticed that some cars (Volvo & BMW) now have side running lights too which I believe is also a useful safety feature.

I have the Ring ones fitted to our SLK, more or less in the same position as the 'official' ones in the new SLK range. The internal circuitry detects whether the Battery is being charged or not and therefore turns them on when the engine is running. Second wire is used to detect whether the side-lights are on. If so they're dimmed to 50% or so.
Very pleased with both the look when on and also the lack of idiots pulling out in front at close range. The latter seeming to be a feature of some West Country motoring enthusiasts…..

I have the Ring ones fitted to our SLK, more or less in the same position as the 'official' ones in the new SLK range. The internal circuitry detects whether the Battery is being charged or not and therefore turns them on when the engine is running. Second wire is used to detect whether the side-lights are on. If so they're dimmed to 50% or so.
Very pleased with both the look when on and also the lack of idiots pulling out in front at close range. The latter seeming to be a feature of some West Country motoring enthusiasts…..

QUICK question you say if the side lights are on it dimmed to 50 % or so they are not LED then you can not dim LEDS have you a picture you could post and the make and model of the lights

thx

QUICK question you say if the side lights are on it dimmed to 50 % or so they are not LED then you can not dim LEDS have you a picture you could post and the make and model of the lights

thx

LED lights can be dimmed. Search on Google etc and you will find many examples.

Have you got any pictures of the setup on your car fitted & running? Would be keen to see how some of these kits look.

LED lights can be dimmed. Search on Google etc and you will find many examples.

Only to a point, (They are diodes ) then they switch off. :rolleyes: You can of course pulse them but then what's the point? The electronics on MB's require a load of at least 5w per lamp so still need a load resister. So why not fit a white lamp eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I have these and yes they light bright white and are very good. :D

Just had a thought. :bannana:
Anyone seen used or considered using El light strips. I have a few pieces left and never thought of trying it for lighting other than sills :) . I read somewhere it started life, well nearly as stuff called coolneon or something. For stripes down the side of cars and boats .Uggh.

I wonder if it will make good puddle lights at least :) ........ I'll be back .
Bugger its raining - again!

Worth a thought ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom